lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default white wire coming out of engine cover?

Does anyone know what this white wire goes too? I brought my cart to an ezgo dealer and ever since my cart doesn't run right and this wire is just hanging there and I have no clue where it goes? I need to get this thing running!!! it dies after about four holes of use? Like the battery is going dead. Put a new solenoid and nothing? Any other ideas? Im bring my starter/generator to be rebuilt as we speak! Any ideas welcome! I have been battling this for 4 years now!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo.jpg (126.3 KB, 14 views)
zlangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: white wire coming out of engine cover?

the white wire goes to the oil dummy light on the dash. You may not have it since this is an option. If you dont have this option dont worry about it.

if you are not charging than more than likely you have a bad voltage regulator not starter/generator. If the starter turns over the engine than it is fine on the charging side.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

So to be clear, the cart runs fine for the first 4 holes and then fails to start. If this is the case you need to find out why your battery does not charge.
Get the cart on axle stands and start it up. Measure across the battery with a voltmeter if you see ~12 volts you are not charging. Stop the engine. Remove the thin wire from the generator and start the engine. With the engine running againg touch the wire to ground. The voltage on the battery should rise to 18 volts. If it does not then the regulator is defective. If it does then you need to check the ground points and the brushes in the generator.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

brushes in starter are great, brought it to a very good shop that rebuilds starters, generators, etc and the brushes are like brand new. so thats not the case. after this happened i put a voltmeter on the battery and it had 11.6 volts eventho it was acting like it was a dead battery when i went to start the cart? any ideas im beginning to think its the voltage regulator. so with the cart running the voltmeter should continously read 18 volts correct?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Is your battery new? Does it accept charge? Even a reading of 12.5 volts does not guarantee that it still carries a charge. Charge it using a charger to test if it hold a charge. The VR is a probable culprit to.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=zlangdon;564374]brushes in starter are great, brought it to a very good shop that rebuilds starters, generators, etc and the brushes are like brand new. so thats not the case. after this happened i put a voltmeter on the battery and it had 11.6 volts eventho it was acting like it was a dead battery when i went to start the cart? any ideas im beginning to think its the voltage regulator. so with the cart running the voltmeter should continously read 18 volts correct?[/QUOTE]

No, not quite correct. Under normal circumstances, with the engine running, you should see ~16 volts. What I suggested was the test to see if the VR is working. When you ground the lead the VR should go to maximum which is 18 volts. You would not normally want to see that output as it would overcharge the battery.

Dave
Old 05-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

ive put three new batteries in this thing and it keeps happening! so basically i should try and change the VR next? I have no other ideas as to what it would be. Ive taken every electrical terminal and connection apart cleaned and put back together. Does anyone have a picture of how their solenoid is hooked up? would it be possible i hooked the wires up wrong?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

if i put it jackstands and run the cart with a voltmeter on the battery what should the volt meter read? should it be a constant reading or jump all over the place? I think i remember doing this last year and the voltmeter went crazy!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If the cart starts and runs then the solenoid is working. The battery should show a constant voltage of around 16 volts although as low as 14 would be acceptable

Dave
Old 05-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

alright, im gonna try getting a new voltage regulator. Does the pulsar coil play a role in this at all by any chance?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO