lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Engine Runs But Won't Move

Shouldn't I see the clutch begin to spin as the engine picks up rpms? ?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yeah, Doom - I'm with You on this one ....

Which clutch are you referring to? If you have the cart up on blocks (the safest way to do any of this) you should see the drive clutch spinning anytime the engine is moving (even if it's just turning over to start but not running, the drive clutch should be moving at the same RPM as the motor). If it isn't, first you want to park the cart, roll the belt off of both clutches (or in other words remove it), grasp the drive clutch (the one on the motor) with both hands and see if it spins freely - it shouldn't, as it should be firmly attached to the crankshaftmeaning if you turn it, the engine should be turning too.

IF bychance it's spinning freely, you likely have a loose clutch bolt that needs tightening, a bolt that has fallen out completely, or worst case scenario a clutch bolt that has stripped - try pulling the belt and rotating the drive clutch and we'll go from there
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
BillScott
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Shouldn't I see the clutch begin to spin as the engine picks up rpms? ?
Sorry, if I had a working cart to compare to I woudn't have asked the question.
BillScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
BillScott
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Yeah, Doom - I'm with You on this one ....

Which clutch are you referring to? If you have the cart up on blocks (the safest way to do any of this) you should see the drive clutch spinning anytime the engine is moving (even if it's just turning over to start but not running, the drive clutch should be moving at the same RPM as the motor). If it isn't, first you want to park the cart, roll the belt off of both clutches (or in other words remove it), grasp the drive clutch (the one on the motor) with both hands and see if it spins freely - it shouldn't, as it should be firmly attached to the crankshaftmeaning if you turn it, the engine should be turning too.

IF bychance it's spinning freely, you likely have a loose clutch bolt that needs tightening, a bolt that has fallen out completely, or worst case scenario a clutch bolt that has stripped - try pulling the belt and rotating the drive clutch and we'll go from there
Yes, I am asking about the drive clutch. Thanks for the information. I won't have anymore questions until after I check these things.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I don't think Doom was picking on you - just was caught aback by the clutch not spinning and wanted you to confirm that that's what you meant (being as that's not a common issue we all see around here a lot) ...

And yeah, I'd start there (as I outlined above) - keep in mind there is a really good chance that when you roll the belt off the clutches that your drive clutch may come right off the engine with it (if the bolt has backed out or was sheared) - in fact, best case scenario is that the clutch pops off and you have a nice, empty threaded hole in the end of your crankshaft - THAT would be a sweet, easy $2 fix

Fingers crossed for you, Amigo - let us know how it goes :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You should bring it back with you if possible. Much easier to help you fix
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I was not picking on you, but I have found that asking
about the asides in post often leads to more information
that helps fixing the problem. Very often we jump to a
solution with only halve the facts.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #18
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi Bill,

The belt should be slack on the driveshaft, and when the engine revs up, you should see the clutch slide "in" towards the motor, which then pinches the belt and allows it to turn the rear clutch on the axle.

If you are running at high revs and the clutch slides in, but doesn't grab the belt, it is likely a worn out belt (the sides get narrower as the belt wears, and they stretch).

If the clutch is turning fast, but isn't sliding in, then you have a clutch problem.

And if the clutch is attached to the driveshaft, and is not spinning, then you have a loose clutch (a simple bolt tighen would work), or (God forbid), the bolt holding your clutch on has broken.

***Ahhh, that's what I get for reading only page 1 then posting***

Good advice BCM, and yes, a missing bolt is better than a broken one.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
BillScott
Not Yet Wild

I spent a little time between downpours with the cart last weekend. First I got this # off the plate on the passenger side....5B-233-7881
838 323

If that can help determine the year and any other important info that would be great. To clarify, now that I understand how this thing is supposed to work, I realize that the clutch is in fact spinning, but not moving forward to engage the belt. I did take the belt off and measured to find that it is 1/8" skinnier than original. I can move the rear/movable part of the centrifugal clutch with forward manually with the belt removed and the engine off. I did not have a compression gage with me so I couldn't check that. However, I'm leaning toward a lack of engine speed as the reason the clutch won't engage. Everything throttle related seems to be working fine. My plan, unless I get better advice here, is to check the compression on my next trip up and if it's poor , as I suspect, prepare to reman the engine over the winter.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO