lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
AIDENMAVERICK
Not Yet Wild

Default 1986 club car gas won't stay running

HI everyone, my 1986 club car was running great the other day the all of a sudden it shut down, it limped home at like 2mph. Put it in neutral and press pedal it revvs up then shuts down and revs back up shuts down. my battery is reading 12 volts but when engine turns on it stays around 12 volts def does not increase. i jumped out he voltage reg(put the red and yellow wire together still nothing) from red wire on volt reg to ground is 12 volts constant with pedal pushed, there is nothing from yellow to ground. i believe it is the generator/starter just not sure how to properly test for it. does anyone have any ideas on the next step i can take to diagnose i have multimeters, etc to test. thank you for all your help
AIDENMAVERICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Default Re: 1986 club car gas won't stay running

hmmmm i wonderif you had the rev limiter crap out on you. is it disconnected? it is the llil black box at the front of the engine with a black wire and a brown wire. disconnect the wire grounding it to the engine block, and give it a wrap with tape and try this out. simlple and quick 5 minute job. just make sure you put wire out of way so not to get damaged or ground itself out anywere else.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
AIDENMAVERICK
Not Yet Wild

thank you so much for your reply, i searched all over for the box on the engine, i cant find it, i see a braided grounding strap on the engine cover of the front of the engine. do i have to take that engine cover off to expose the rev limiter i assume it is the piece that attaches to the ignitor for the plug. sorry to be a pain is there way i dont have the one your talking about or would anyone have a diagram to show me where it would be. thank you
Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

njo the ground strp is a ground strap. hold on this may be a flat head engine that i havent had to much luck on, just to old! so if its the fe290-350 ohv engine it should have it on the front of the engine right above the front oil drain, it might even have another coil on the back side thats the ighnitor. if its the flat head (spark plug on top of head) then im not really familar with this set up.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckiguy View Post
njo the ground strp is a ground strap. hold on this may be a flat head engine that i havent had to much luck on, just to old! so if its the fe290-350 ohv engine it should have it on the front of the engine right above the front oil drain, it might even have another coil on the back side thats the ighnitor. if its the flat head (spark plug on top of head) then im not really familar with this set up.
86 models with the flathead didn't have electronic limiters did they ?

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have an 88 and there is no limiter. Just the pulsing and exiting coil and the ignition coil. Also have the service manual for 88 - 91 if you need me to send you any info from it. Email me at klkeaton@embarqmail.com and I'll send you the section covering the ignition to see if it helps. The engine info should be the same for 86 models. Would you agree Chris?

Jason
jace1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace1975 View Post
I have an 88 and there is no limiter. Just the pulsing and exiting coil and the ignition coil. Also have the service manual for 88 - 91 if you need me to send you any info from it. Email me at klkeaton@embarqmail.com and I'll send you the section covering the ignition to see if it helps. The engine info should be the same for 86 models. Would you agree Chris?

Jason
Yep Jason, I just don't see so many of the older models anymore so I'm not 100% sure as to the variables. Tom (Shadowman) is more familiar with these carts and I'm sure he'll chip in with more precise information when he gets a moment.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Correct the OHV 290 came out in the 92 models and up. Should be a flathead

engine he is dealing with?

Is your voltage regulator like this one?

rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
AIDENMAVERICK
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the delayed response I appreciate the info. It is def a flat head engine and does not have a rev limiter. My voltage regulator looks exactly like the picture does anyone think that it is a junk ignition coil I am having a hard time finding one does any one have a good source
Old 08-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Some of the coils would get hot and break down? I did have a coil I will check tomorrow and see.
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car