lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Syd Barrett
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Clutch rebuild?

I've got a 1988 CC & am in the middle of rebuilding it. Got the lift kit & new 22/10 rims/tires on it. I'm putting a Duramax in it & am just about ready to fire it but a buddy highly suggested I check out the drive clutch before I put it all back together. I've already put it back on the engine with the adapter but managed to get the cover off to inspect/rebuild it. What am I looking for as far as what needs rebuilt? It's dirty but the weights are all intact, nothing is broken & everything seems to be fairly tight.......no rattling.

I've looked on line for rebuild kits but I just see the button kits. What wears out that I really need to replace? Should I just clean it up & see how it does? One of my problems is that I bought this thing w/o ever having seen/heard it run (pd $100.....engine was froze) so I have no idea what kind of operating shape the clutches are in.

Also.........I'm seeing a lot of discussion about the driven clutch too. Is it highly advisable to rebuild it as well, or just wait & see how it performs?

I'm trying to do this right & really don't want to put this back together then have to take it apart again. I'm in no hurry since I have til spring before I want to use it...........then again, I don't want to blow $$ on stuff if I don't have to. But if it's advised I'll do it.

This will be used 95% for golf........am hoping for about a 25mph rig........nothing needs to be real heavy-duty.
Syd Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
golfcartthing
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Clutch rebuild?

run and see. club car sells everything to rebuild those clutches i believe.
golfcartthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Syd Barrett
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I may have to do that anyhow but I'd like to address as many issues as I can before I put it all together.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

For an 88... I'd strongly suggest to AT LEAST replace the buttons and the thrust washer, since you've never heard it run!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Syd Barrett
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm going to do that lockman..........after cleaning everything up I can see that the buttons are worn as is the washer. The weights (or whatever they are) seem to be in good shape..........there's some wear at contact points but they're not sloppy at all.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Barrett View Post
I've got a 1988 CC & am in the middle of rebuilding it. Got the lift kit & new 22/10 rims/tires on it. I'm putting a Duramax in it & am just about ready to fire it but a buddy highly suggested I check out the drive clutch before I put it all back together. I've already put it back on the engine with the adapter but managed to get the cover off to inspect/rebuild it. What am I looking for as far as what needs rebuilt? It's dirty but the weights are all intact, nothing is broken & everything seems to be fairly tight.......no rattling.

I've looked on line for rebuild kits but I just see the button kits. What wears out that I really need to replace? Should I just clean it up & see how it does? One of my problems is that I bought this thing w/o ever having seen/heard it run (pd $100.....engine was froze) so I have no idea what kind of operating shape the clutches are in.

Also.........I'm seeing a lot of discussion about the driven clutch too. Is it highly advisable to rebuild it as well, or just wait & see how it performs?

I'm trying to do this right & really don't want to put this back together then have to take it apart again. I'm in no hurry since I have til spring before I want to use it...........then again, I don't want to blow $$ on stuff if I don't have to. But if it's advised I'll do it.

This will be used 95% for golf........am hoping for about a 25mph rig........nothing needs to be real heavy-duty.
Syd Barrett

I am getting ready to do a Duramax in a 91 would you mined posting some pictures of your engine transplant and some of your throttle connection. This will be my first project like this and would appreciate all the help/advice I can get.

Thank You

Chuck
Hardatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Syd Barrett
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Chuck.......check over in the "big block" section of the forums, specifically the "clone engine" section. There are a few of us doing this/done this & the others already have pix posted. I haven't gotten to my throttle connection yet (one of the last things I'll do) so I don't have any info on it.........sorry.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Syd Barrett
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Another question............how tight, or loose, should the weights inside the clutch cover be? When in "new" condition........if I hold it upside down should they just fall? Should they move when I jiggle the piece? Right now I can move them somewhat easily by hand but they feel pretty snug. I have no idea how tight, or loose, these should be.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car