lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Carp
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 98 DS - Should be fun

Picked up a '98 DS project off of Craigslist.

The top was cracked bad enough that it did not survive the trip home. I found a used long top for a sweet deal and replaced the broken one.

Wheel covers were black plastic turbine style . Took those off the next day and hit the wheels with a couple of coats of VHT Black rattle can. After cleaning everything up here is how she currently sits:

Looks ok, but I noticed the inside of the wheels were rubbing against the running gear. Upon inspection I discovered the leave spring bushings are down to the metal dowl. The rubber is completely gone. Big brown truck is hooking me up with new bushings tomorrow, so I decide to go ahead and get everything apart so I can do the repair after work. That's when I discovered that the front shocks are doing...nothing.

Also figured out I need stronger leaf springs in the back. the last guy put on the seat and never upgraded the suspension (I probably wouldn't have either).

Tune up Kit, steering wheel, Rear view mirror, inner frame snubber, will be here tomorrow. New starter belt and electric horn kit and bushings will be here Wednesday. Undercarriage lighting will be here Thursday. This is going to get out of hand...
Carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Schunter
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 98 DS - Should be fun

Looks good
Schunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carp View Post
Picked up a '98 DS project off of Craigslist.

The top was cracked bad enough that it did not survive the trip home. I found a used long top for a sweet deal and replaced the broken one.

Wheel covers were black plastic turbine style . Took those off the next day and hit the wheels with a couple of coats of VHT Black rattle can. After cleaning everything up here is how she currently sits:

Looks ok, but I noticed the inside of the wheels were rubbing against the running gear. Upon inspection I discovered the leave spring bushings are down to the metal dowl. The rubber is completely gone. Big brown truck is hooking me up with new bushings tomorrow, so I decide to go ahead and get everything apart so I can do the repair after work. That's when I discovered that the front shocks are doing...nothing.

Also figured out I need stronger leaf springs in the back. the last guy put on the seat and never upgraded the suspension (I probably wouldn't have either).

Tune up Kit, steering wheel, Rear view mirror, inner frame snubber, will be here tomorrow. New starter belt and electric horn kit and bushings will be here Wednesday. Undercarriage lighting will be here Thursday. This is going to get out of hand...
Smart looking cart there If it runs as good as it looks your on a winner

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
2monsters
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is going to be a nice buggie. I also like your dive right in approach lol. Have fun!
2monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Carp
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 98 DS Update...

Officially out of hand

Once the seats came out getting the cover off was easy...but a little stressful.

The only addition last night was the new steering wheel. Everything else was tear down. I can't wait to get after this thing with a scrub brush!

Here is my Pile-o-parts! Including all of the suspension bushings...which were totally trashed.

In the process of removing the rear leafs I discovered yet more whipped parts. The shackle bushings, the rear shocks, and the drive belt are all trashed. Time to place yet another budget busting order!

Here is the list:
  • Replace top
  • New windshield
  • All new suspension bushings
  • New front & rear leafs (went with medium duty rears)
  • Shocks all around
  • New inner frame snubber to replace the bike tire wrapped block-o-wood
  • Electric Horn
  • Tune up Kit
  • New steering wheel
  • Rear view mirror
  • Programmable Multi-Color LED Light-Up Under-Cart Kits
  • Diamond Plate Rocker inserts
  • Fuel lines
  • New Fuel retun nub
  • Various fasteners

Does anyone know the part # for rear shocks?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Dale M
Getting Wild

This is going to get out of hand...

It always does!!!
Dale M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
Carp
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Big brown truck dropped off the Clutch Spring Combo Kit Yesterday. I was excited until I realized that they did not include instructions for installing the back clutch and did not include the installer tool, which was supposed to be included.

Has anyone done these mods? I would love to get some instruction and some sense for the change in performance I can expect.

Also wondering how to remove the gas tank. I got the one adjustable strap off, but I can't get at the bottom of the rear strap.

BTW installed fresh bushings, leaf springs, and front shocks last night. Of course, i'll have to undo some of that when the front suspension kit arrives!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
jhood
Not Yet Wild

The part number for the shocks is one of the following 1012183, 1013164, 1014236, 102706401. We have them for $30.25. http://www.jasonsgolfcarts.com/Club_...p/spn-0103.htm Looks like you are well on your way to having a very nice cart... have fun with it and keep us up to date.
jhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Carp
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks J! Got shocks, suspension bushings, new drive and starter belts, Fuel lines & filters, and changed the fluids.

Got everything back together yesterday in time for Momma to have a test drive before the girls went to bed.

Half way through the LED chassis lights install, next up is the horn and the power kit. Having fun!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
Penrod
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Getting expensive already and you just got it home :)

I picked up a 96 48v Club Car a few weeks ago that just needed batteries. It was a mechanics beater and the body was in bad shape. $250 later and it has a new paint job and solenoid, still pricing batteries in my area.

I couldn't wait until the restore was finished to ride...So I Went and bought Gas DS last weekend. Now I can ride while I wait for the brown truck to bring me goodies :D

They are very addicting and I have only just gotten into it. Looks like your hooked too!
Penrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car