lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2pg carb question

This is the first tank Of fuel as I just finished the full rebuild. 40:1 seemed to be the standard break in mixture, but I don't own a manual.
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

40 or 50:1 ok for break-in,then switch after a tankful.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Fuel from the breather tube indicates that the float / needle valve is not closing properly and causing the carburetor to flood. You are curing that by mashing the throttle which opens the butterfly wide and sucks the excess fuel into the engine. I would remove the carburetor (again, sorry) remove the bowl then the float and gently remove the needle valve, be careful it is easy to drop (don't ask). Clean the needle and clean the seat then reassemble. With the carburetor upside down the float should sit level.
Hopefully you will then be done and able to enjoy your cart.

Dave

So I pulled the carb again. Removed the bowl, and checked the float. As far as I can tell, the float is sitting level when the carb is upside down. I then removed the float and pulled the needle out. Everything looked really clean, even with my magnifying glass. For good measure, I sprayed everything out with carb cleaner, and reassembled. The cart started and ran great for a minute or two. Stopped and started three times. On the fourth start, it bogged down as soon as I touched the pedal, with fuel coming out of the clear breather tube. It also started smoking badly when running like this. I feathered the pedal and eventually it straightened out and ran smoother. But when I stopped and started again, it started bogging again and leaking from the tube. It almost runs like I've got the choke pulled, but it's definitely not pulled. I find it hard to believe that debris is passing thru 2 brand new filters and into the carb. But I suppose it's possible. Not sure what to do next??
Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Could these symptoms be indicative of a bad fuel pump diaphragm? I am leaning toward carb issue just because it ran smooth for a bit upon reassembly. Is there an adjustment I'm missing?

Last edited by frodrummer; 12-08-2012 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: .
Old 12-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Tore the carb down as far as I could, and cleaned everything really good. Put it all back together and still leaking fuel from the breather tube and dripping from the carb where air cleaner hose attaches. Still flooding itself out and running terrible.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #16
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Try adjusting the float a little bit.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #17
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyerik View Post
Try adjusting the float a little bit.
Would I adjust it up or down (when the carb is upside down)?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
sonnyhooper
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

With the carb upside you would want to adjust the float up, so that the non hinged end is just a little higher. I have an 87 that runs just like you are describing, the motor is freshly rebuilt but I don't have any fuel leaks. I am suspecting that the two problems are not totally connected. I think my fuel mixture at 40:1 is either leaning it out to much or fowling the plug making it run bad. I have run a half a tank through and now its 10 degrees out so would it hurt it any to go to the 128:1 and keep running it like this in the cold?
sonnyhooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info fellas! Another question, does the longer rear tab on the float act as a stop? I know that both tabs need adjusted in unison, but I want to get them adjusted correctly. With the carb upside, does the longer tab on the back of the float get adjusted in or out?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #20
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also, is the needle valve supposed to have a rubber tip? Mine does not.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO