lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Default G9 engine rebuild

Well, found a G9 that I may want to buy. Owner says it smokes. Just curious to see if anyone has an idea if this will need a total rebuild or if I can get away with valve guide seals? Any help will be appreciated!! Maybe repair manuals are floating around somewhere? Thanks!

Tonka
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 engine rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka329 View Post
Well, found a G9 that I may want to buy. Owner says it smokes. Just curious to see if anyone has an idea if this will need a total rebuild or if I can get away with valve guide seals? Any help will be appreciated!! Maybe repair manuals are floating around somewhere? Thanks!

Tonka
G2/G9 smokeing can be as little as a stuck float and fuel got into the engine/airbox and muffler, check for dip stick over filled level and gas smell and oil/gas in the bottom of the air box. Most likely the oil rings have colapsed. Just depends on the cylinder bore after disassembly, if a good honeing and std rings are in spec, it's very simple (since I've done hundreds of them). You will need a primary fixed sheave puller tool. The head useually just needs decarboning/good valve lap job and a new intake valve seal. I do think some member has a downloadable service manual for a G2/G9's.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Thanks Smallie!! Always there with a helping hand!!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka329 View Post
Thanks Smallie!! Always there with a helping hand!!
Ok guy's..you can call me smallblock450sl, smallblock or even block sometimes or Dave, but you cannot call me Smallie! I give you respect, please do the same.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

I apologize Dave! My bad
Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Tonka, Since I'm now doing an engine re-build, my suggestion would be to do everything you can while the engine is open. Check it all. You don't want to do it again. I really tried to keep things to a minimum but in the end, for one reason or another, I've wound up doing it all and I do feel a little better about it. Your engine is probably in better shape than mine to start with. I have two questions: 1. Why in God's name are you posting at 3:20am and secondly why are you pissin' off Mr. Smallblock? Shame on you!
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Why don't you consider a clone motor. MORE POWER
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by abieex View Post
Tonka, Since I'm now doing an engine re-build, my suggestion would be to do everything you can while the engine is open. Check it all. You don't want to do it again. I really tried to keep things to a minimum but in the end, for one reason or another, I've wound up doing it all and I do feel a little better about it. Your engine is probably in better shape than mine to start with. I have two questions: 1. Why in God's name are you posting at 3:20am and secondly why are you pissin' off Mr. Smallblock? Shame on you!

I've also thought about doing as much as I can while I have the motor out... I was posting at 3:20AM your time. It was 5:20AM my time and I work midnights and that was in the middle of break! I apologized to Dave. Sometimes I type the words and hit enter before my brain has time to process it!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokeasmowl View Post
Why don't you consider a clone motor. MORE POWER
No clone on this cart Boke. This one will eventually be my "build" cart. Just looking to keep the motor in good shape for another summer. I will be purchasing a donor quad late next fall to start the build. Wanted to start it this winter but, I am leaning towards starting my sandrail conversion this winter... and, the wife wants to start looking for a bigger house
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

My wife is also talking about another house. One floor, another bath, bigger kitchen,open floor plan yada yada yada............please pass me the 3/8 lockwashers!
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha