lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Riddle.brody
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 or 98 EZ GO wont rev up

I am thinking about buying a 97 or 98 ezgo 4 stroke cart that isnt running right. I have been told that the motor will start buy wont rev up high enough to engage the belt... im not sure if the motor is actually firing or they are just hearing the electric motor turning the gas motor over. What should I look for and look out for. I havent bought the cart yet nor have i even messed with it. My buddys dad has it and i asked him if he wanted to sell it and he priced it to me telling me it didnt run. What do you guys think?
Riddle.brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 97 or 98 EZ GO wont rev up

Get a little background and find out why it was parked.. May just have a dirty carb and not getting fuel. Or may be a spark issue. Take some carb cleaner and spray it in the intake while spinning it over, if it catches for a second, fuel problem, if not, could be spark. All of this is based on the price. If the $ is right and the rest is in good shape, buy it. The engine can be fixed.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Riddle.brody
Not Yet Wild

what is the worst that could be wrong?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Worst could mean replacing the engine or could be rebuilt or swapped for a clone. OR could be a bad ground wire
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Riddle.brody
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Worst could mean replacing the engine or could be rebuilt or swapped for a clone. OR could be a bad ground wire
sorry i know i am asking alot of questions and i appreciate the help but what would a new replacement motor cost and ho much to rebuild it... i have done alot of research on the 2 cycle models because i had one, fixed it and sold it to but a 4 stroker.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

New EZ-Go motor is very expensive. My local shop rebuilds them for like 650 ballpark if the main components are OK. You may also find a used motor in the FS section. Anyway, like I said, all depends on the price and what risk you are willing to take. Its a 97/98 cart so it has some age, if it is in really good shape and he wants $100, jump. If he wants $1000 and has major engine damage pass.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Riddle.brody
Not Yet Wild

ya he wants $650 for it but i will just have to check it out and see if i can figure it out before i pull the trigger on it... what should the compression be on a 4 stroker?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Not sure about $650. Is it a stock 2 seater or are goodies added. I'm thinking 120psi.. If you have the knowledge, try the carb spray first, if nada, pull a plug and see if it is sparking, if it is, could be a cam timing issue, pull the valve cover and see if they are moving.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Riddle.brody
Not Yet Wild

Ya its a stock 2 seater... I will mess with it this weekend and see what i can find.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Your call but $650 for a plain 15 year old cart that doesn't run seems a bit steep.. If it is a simple fix, maybe but anymore than that... At least here that would be high.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO