lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Stenny
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 1981 g1 reverse ? With a snowmobile engine?

I would like to make reverse work how does reverse work on these rear ends or trannys on golf carts and snowmobiles? Does the engine go in reverse and run backwards or does the tranny or rear end just shift to reverse gear? I would like to be able to get reverse to work or find a way to make cart back up besides me pushing it manually cuz that is no fun and hard to do by yourself!
Stenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1981 g1 reverse ? With a snowmobile engine?

The G1 had no reverse in the rear end, the motor ran backward for reverse. The starter ran both directions using two solenoids. Not sure on the snowmobile engine but I would think that you could be able to do the same. Or find a rear end out of a 4 stroke cart. That will get you reverse.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Most engines have the ability to run backwards, however, all engines were designed to run "mostly" in one direction, especially gasoline engines because of the oil delivery systems and ignitions. A single cylinder two stroke engine would be the easiest candidate to run backwards because of its simplicity in design and oil in gas oiling system. I would not, however, run a two stroke backwards for very long because the oil travels in the gas and the vacuum running backwards is going to distribute less oil/gas to coat the internal parts.

So the answer is yes, provided you modify the ignition to allow spark going backwards. This might be pretty tricky on a twin cylinder engine, not sure it's been done? My opinion is that it's going to be much easier and more reliable to install a 4 stroke transaxle with reverse.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Stenny
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

What woukd have a 4 stroke rearend i could use for this?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Likely a G2 or G9 would be very similar and have been put in G1s. You may have to move brackets or something.

Any 2 stroke can run backwards just fine, providing the ignition will do it and you can start it that way...and anything running off it is ok with it. Because only the crank reverses and the crank and rod don't care what direction they rotate. The crankcase vacuum is from piston movement which would not change. However a 4 stroke would require you change the camshaft to run backwards as well as the ignition.

Most sleds and G1 use two ignition pickups on the crank, one advanced in each direction from TDC. Of course with a twin with 180 offset crank you need a pickup at TDC and BDC for the other cylinder, and those two for each rotation direction. Or a way to put two triggers on the crank 180 degrees apart.

The G2 and higher yamaha and every 4 stroke cart out there use a forward and reverse gear in the trans, you can use any engine on them. Often reverse gear is a higher ratio that goes slower. Note that newer CC carts use a CW rotation engine that is backwards from the rest.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Likely a G2 or G9 would be very similar and have been put in G1s. You may have to move brackets or something.

Any 2 stroke can run backwards just fine, providing the ignition will do it and you can start it that way...and anything running off it is ok with it. Because only the crank reverses and the crank and rod don't care what direction they rotate. The crankcase vacuum is from piston movement which would not change. However a 4 stroke would require you change the camshaft to run backwards as well as the ignition.

Most sleds and G1 use two ignition pickups on the crank, one advanced in each direction from TDC. Of course with a twin with 180 offset crank you need a pickup at TDC and BDC for the other cylinder, and those two for each rotation direction. Or a way to put two triggers on the crank 180 degrees apart.

The G2 and higher yamaha and every 4 stroke cart out there use a forward and reverse gear in the trans, you can use any engine on them. Often reverse gear is a higher ratio that goes slower. Note that newer CC carts use a CW rotation engine that is backwards from the rest.
That's what I was going to say! LOL JK Well put Sho!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It can be hard to keep track of all of them. If you want to be really cool find an older skidoo 2 stroke that has the reverse, they instantly stop and start running backwards. You can hardly hear it change direction its so fast. The ignition prefires it and pops the crank backwards to start running opposite before it stops running. They are twins.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Stenny
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I would like to change the rearend rather then the motor to be honest i will look to see if there are any for sale anywhere
Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The G1 axles will bolt right up to the G2 differential. The front bracket on the G2 differential is different than a G1 and will require some mod to the mounting bracket. You may need to add 3/4-1" spacer blocks between the swingarm/axle mounts to get clearence for the driven clutch. I had to do this when I put the clone motor in my '84.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Stenny
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

That is not a problem i am a welder so fabricating something is not a problem
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha