lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
islandguy
Not Yet Wild

Default 84' 2pg New rebuild feels boggy

So I just finished my first rebuild. Full meal deal for the engine.Crank, jug,piston ,etc. New carb,fuel pump,wire,Hei mod,motor mounts,fuel line, drive clutch and driven clutch. I think thats all... If I keep goin I will also be getting a new wife and home. So the problem Im having is that after the rebuild The cart feels boggy.Just doesnt have the get up and go like it did. The things I checked.
Fuel pump...good squirts.
Checked all grounds, connections.
Removed the air filter...didnt change.
loosened the x pipe a bit....didnt change anything.
Compression...110 ish in forward. 115 ish reverse.
Filter.....is staying full.
Spark is ok I think ...good blue but noticed some yellows. Not sure if thats good.
Flushed gas tank and glad I did. It had a bit of trash kicking around.
Now Im not giving in yet but Im beatin for tonight. So I was wondering if anybody else had the same problem. I was also wondering how long for the rings to seat and etc?
The compression wasnt super hi but, I thaught I read somewhere that will go up.Does it just need more breakin time? I also just have my old "long belt " on. Would that with the new clutches be causing this? I ran the short belt on it before it died but put the old long belt on when I put the motor back in. Not realy sure why tho.I guess Ill just have to keep picken at her. The snow will be gone and the suds runs will be back on schedule...
islandguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 84' 2pg New rebuild feels boggy

Just a tip you may try reversing the red blue pulser wires and see what that does please don't ask why but with the hei sometimes this has to be done. If it runs better great if not switch them back ok. You did use the early 70's module right? Later styles may have a built in advance curve.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
islandguy
Not Yet Wild

I did the Hei conversion just before it died and it seemed to run fine. I did use the early 70' module. Ill have to give the wire switch a try anyway. Thanks for the reply racin. Hope I can figure it out.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
BadApple
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I rebuilt my 3PG 2 stroke last year with a new carb, fuel pump, HEI conversion, etc....and i did have a notable difference in performance after the engine was run for awhile and "broke in" a little. This also probably had a little to do with the first tank of fuel being mixed rich for break in. I mixed the first tank after break in at 50:1, normally run at 100:1. I'm going to assume you have removed the oil injection and mix your own fuel now? When you change the your pulsar wires you will notice a big difference one way or the other. My experience was after a little running time and a spark plug change she came to life and runs out good, with a big difference on hills, especially with the shorter belt. Good luck and keep us posted.
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
islandguy
Not Yet Wild

I tryed the pulsar wire change just for fun before work. It didnt run to well with the wires switched. I didnt think it would be that since I had the hei done before I pulled the motor. Having you say you noticed a difference in power after a ittle run time badapple makes me hope it will work its self out. Think Ill throw the short belt back on and try to log some drive time just in the laneway.lol. To much snow to hit the trails and beach. I did notice the baffle in the muffler was loose when I removed it. Shake it and it would rattle around etc. Is it possible the baffle may be creating a blockage some how? I did bbq it back in the summer. The wifey just asked if I was going out to the building tonight to play cart. That usualy doesnt happen. Maybe she knows something I dont.haha.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I think that you are going to be good. The new engine is tight at the moment and it will loosen up. The compression will slowly increase as you get some carbon down into the rings, you should see ~140 psi after about 10 engine hours. Your first tank of fuel should be mixed at 40:1 and that will also decrease performance. I would check your belt, it should be 1 3/16th wide, much less and it will affect your performance. For the record I am not a fan of using the shorter belt, it will strain your clutch bearings and engine mounts.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
islandguy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Dave. It ran way better even with the old clutches and the compression around 90psi then it does now. Just makes me feel like i didnt do something right.Its funny you mentioned the belt also. I checked it last night and its about 1 1/8" wide. Another issue I noticed with the belt is when I first tryed it last summer was a squealing noise. It only happens with the short belt. Its realy annoying . When you look in the engine bay you can see alot more stress on one of the new motor mounts pulling towards the clutches with the short belt on aswell. I would hate to ruin the new clutches or something else prematurely using the short belt. I dont want to have to drop another $550 big ones again to buy them again for along time. The short belt sure does make the cart tho. I did find another thing that could be not helping any aswell.I for some reason (god only knows why) didnt order any reed valve gaskets when I ordered the whole shooting match up. So in wanting to get the old girl running I just made some up out of a cereal box card board. Old school I know but I thaught it would work for a bit. When I was checking my belt issue I ran my finger along the intake and reed valve cage area and my finger was wet with gas/oil . I dont think the old fruit loops cardboard likes gas and oil that much. So I picked up some gasket paper and im going to cut up some new ones and see how that works. All and all tho im amazed that I actualy got the old thing rebuilt and running. Im a jack of all trades and master of nothin .haha.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
67HotRod
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Did somebody put the piston in backwards when you weren't looking? :)
67HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
islandguy
Not Yet Wild

Ya never know hotrod. I know I wasnt in the best state of mind some nights workin on it. Now ya got me wondering .lol. I checked and rechecked but like I stated earlyer. I think Dave is right and it will come around. I did notice (and I hope it wouldnt be the crank seals since there new) when in reverse it seemed to go a bit faster and almost like the clutch shifted to a hi gear. You could hear it change . Not sure on that one.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
67HotRod
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I hear ya, I've never made a mistake yet working on things but I figure it's bound to happen some day! Have you checked the timing? If that's of it would make it run better in one direction than the other.
67HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO