lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Chattybirds
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default premixing oil in 2 stroke EZGO

Hi, I was told by a few people who have old 2 stroke golf carts to pre mix their fuel and oil. I was curious if anyone else does and if so what is your ratio and what oil do you use. I currently use amsoil 100:1 synthetic and have had no issues running it in my cart or any other small engine I own.
Chattybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
ATOMIC_BADBOY
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: premixing oil in 2 stroke EZGO

there was a discussion on this before, try and search it
ATOMIC_BADBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

I use amsoil with this same ratio and never had a problem. The book says 128 to 1.
sharse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If you unhooked the govenor,and tend to run it hard at times,run 100:1(1-1/2 oz./gal.).It will be fine.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You should do what the manual says. 128:1 for your golf cart is great but you say you run all your small engines at 100:1 which is painfully lean for a chainsaw.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
ATOMIC_BADBOY
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I've only had mine for a short time now, I'm running 50:1 but that was before I found this site, seems a little doggy but that could b a clutch problem
ATOMIC_BADBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

50:1 is a little rich.Look at the spark-plug,that will tell you where you are at for mixture.Ideally,you want a light tannish to brown color on the electrode.Black is rich,white is lean.Lean makes power(Lean is Mean),but lean is heat,and causes damage.Too rich will cause low power and fouling,also muffler-clogging.I ran mine extremely hard every time I went out(to keep up with everyone else on quads!).4-summers of hard use at 100:1,I never had any damage,I swapped to Big-Block last year,the old motor is sitting,awaiting a new home.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
WJ ezgo
Not Yet Wild

I own an 85 Marathon 2-stroker and run premix at about 100:1 w/governer disconnected.

Being an ex semi-pro motocrosser, what some folks don't know is that there are two relationships to the rich/lean mixture equasion:

1. Fuel/air.
2. Fuel/oil.

A couple points being that if you raise the oil ratio too much you affectively lean the motor out because you're running less gas v. oil. So be careful (particularly in cooler climates). However, the beauty of running pre-mix v. injector pump is that you can tweak the tuning of your cart depending on the weather conditions. So for instance if it's hot and humid like it is down here in southeast Virginia, you can add a bit more oil to lean your fuel/air ratio and make it run better/not bog and have crisp throttle/take-off response.

Just passin' on info.... .
WJ ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
dan161
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ ezgo View Post
I own an 85 Marathon 2-stroker and run premix at about 100:1 w/governer disconnected.

Being an ex semi-pro motocrosser, what some folks don't know is that there are two relationships to the rich/lean mixture equasion:

1. Fuel/air.
2. Fuel/oil.

A couple points being that if you raise the oil ratio too much you affectively lean the motor out because you're running less gas v. oil. So be careful (particularly in cooler climates). However, the beauty of running pre-mix v. injector pump is that you can tweak the tuning of your cart depending on the weather conditions. So for instance if it's hot and humid like it is down here in southeast Virginia, you can add a bit more oil to lean your fuel/air ratio and make it run better/not bog and have crisp throttle/take-off response.

Just passin' on info.... .
Interesting info. Never thought of it that way but it does make sense. I have a 1990 marathon tho and don't want to make the oil to rich as it only plugs the muffler up quicker, and they aint cheap.
dan161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Chattybirds
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
You should do what the manual says. 128:1 for your golf cart is great but you say you run all your small engines at 100:1 which is painfully lean for a chainsaw.

Dave
youre right, I run my husqy with their oil at 50:1
Chattybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO