lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
TRP
Gone Wild

Default Going to look at an EZGO this week... anything to watch out for?

Hey Gang,

As the title states, I'm going to look at a well used gas EZGO in the next day or so. Are there any particularly troublesome areas I should watch out for?

I assume things like major oil leaks, rust, rough start, etc - but are there any 'big ticket items' I should be on the look out for?

Thanks
Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Going to look at an EZGO this week... anything to watch out for?

Do you have any idea of the year or model?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
TRP
Gone Wild

Hello

At this time I do not know the model or year. The guy who I was supposed to meet, couldn't show up tonight. We will try again tomorrow.

This is my first cart. My goal is to turn it into a sporting clays rig. After sorting the running/stopping, my first upgrades will be a 5"-6" lift and some larger tires. Then I'll move on to a front basket, rear seat and possibly a front brush guard.

Right off the bat, I worry about the extra weight and how the cart will respond.

With those goals in mind, are there any carts to avoid? (e.g. I figured out that the Yamaha G1 would be problematic for a bolt on lift kit due to the clutch bell rubbing/etc.) Are there any EZGO bugaboos?

Thanks guys,
Ted
Old 04-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have a 93' ez-go marathon...... I have a front brush gaurd which is pretty heavy. also have a rear seat to haul around the wife and friends of 50 pound bags of corn for the feeders. I am pretty large man all of 275lbs and roll around 4 people comfortably without any horse power probs. Stock 295cc with a heavy duty belt and clutch springs for torgue.....I have not had any issues with it. I did add coilover rear shocks to support the weight on the rear.
icyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
TRP
Gone Wild

Hello Gang,

I went and looked at the EZGO. It appears to be a metal bodied 1985 model (E1585 is the model)

Someone painted the entire thing rattle can black. Everything is black. It would be a total rebuild and repaint. The front cowl is rusted through on the right front fender. It would come with the top and all of the bars/frame and stuff for the windshield.

He wants 750.00 for it. He's going to pull it out of the shop so I can drive it tomorrow.

It ran and started right up.

I don't know anything about these things. What do you guys think? is 750 too much for something that's a complete rebuild?

Ted
Old 04-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #6
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well it depends on where your located here in the northeast people pay that for a non running cart sometimes. personally I would not touch it for 400 its too old and its a 2 stroke cart that even when completly redone is only worth 1500 and im sure your going to put much more than that in it. if i were you i would keep on the hunt and find a 4 stroke cart , they can be had for 750 in ok shape for total build or go 1200 and get a nice running cart that is going to be a more cosmetic build. i guess it all depends on your skills, needs and budget. I know i will raise the Ire of some of our faithful marathon riders but its just my opinion and its not getting any easier to find parts and sometimes the sun moon and stars have to align for it those carts to run right.
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

I own 3 Marathons and wouldn't give them up but I would have to agree $750 is a bit much for a cart that has to be rebuilt. Even if it were just body work now in the future you'll be looking at a top end rebuild and crank seals at a cost of about $250 or a complete at around $450 when all is done. SOOO I think also the $400 range would be good for you and a fair price to offer. Give it a shot or maybe walk away

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Like these ^^^ guys said it's probably not worth it. I found my 86 beaten to death in the woods and I brought it back to life as a fun project, not to make money. After a complete engine rebuild, two new clutches, a brake job, lift kit, new wheels and tires, new seat covers and a vinyl wrap I have a little over $2000 in it and as nobuckbuild says it is probably worth $1500. You are not going to get much for $750 but you can do better than this unless like me you live to restore junk. The only thing that might change my mind is if you tested the compression and found it to be around 120 psi.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
TRP
Gone Wild

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. My gut tells me there is a little room to negotiate on this one, but they really botched it up with all the spray paint and lipstick. I'm looking to get into a decent 4 stroke for around 1000.00 and then plan to put another 2 into it. As someone else stated, I'd like to just start with a cosmetic rebuild for my first cart.

My mechanical skills are about a 6 out of 10, with a 10 being what I would consider a professional mechanic. I've rebuilt a few 1600cc vw engines and resto-modded 3 or 4 bugs, busses, etc. I'm not afraid to turn a wrench, yet (for some reason) I don't own a torque wrench! (go figure?).

As far as a love for restoring old junk. I used to do more of it. I've pulled my fair share of 'lost dogs' out of someone's driveway. My most recent was a the scraps and pieces of a 1955 tear drop trailer that followed me home. I drug those bits out of the woods, and turned it into a mostly complete camping pride and joy.

From this:

To this work in progress:

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the knowledge and experience you all have.

Sincerely,
Ted Pierson
Morgan Hill, CA
Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
drs1023
Not Yet Wild

Check with a local golf course or country club for their worn out carts. Most of them lease carts, but some buy carts - especially for grounds maintenance.

I bought a '02 Workhorse for $400. It needed tires and an engine rebuild (broken rod). After boring the 350 cc Robins and a complete engine kit, battery and installing a dump kit (you won't need that), I still have under $2K in it. It ain't pretty and needs paint, but it's a work buggy with lots of pulling/hauling power. The grandkids love it.
drs1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO