lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Flippz
Not Yet Wild

Default No spark after warm

I have a 1996 g16a. I am losing spark after diving a few hundred yards. I thought it was a carb issue as it was back firing. I have worked on it for a few days now trying everything. The valves are adjusted to four thousandths, checked the pedal switch, checked the solenoid for power and clicking, checked the motor stop switch, checked all grounds. I also changed the fuses and swapped the coils.
One thing is weird is when I lose spark I can take the blue wire of the coil wait a few minutes then connect it and I have spark and at times when the blue wire is off it still has spark. At other times when I loose spark I can do nothing for a while and then it will run. I am at a loss as I have read, called and tried everything I can find except a witch doctor. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Scott Ross
Flippz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
speedgolfer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: No spark after warm

possibly just the ground to coil or allot of times if the coils go out after a short spell is the coil, but i would clean up and sand the point of contact of the coil to motor or is there a black wire that is ground
speedgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Flippz
Not Yet Wild

I have a new coil and installed. The old one is on there as it seems to run better and longer with the old one.
Do you mean sand the rotor?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Flippz
Not Yet Wild

Yes the black wire is connected to the block, blue wire to coil

Also what is e air gap for the coil?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Flippz
Not Yet Wild

Will the cart back fire due to weak/no spark? I am still not convinced the no spark is the only issue. I'm in ga and working on the cart, right now I can ride up and down the road and the cart will back fire if I am off the gas coasting. Have not lost spark yet but not sure if it is weak causing this.
Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Flippz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgolfer View Post
possibly just the ground to coil or allot of times if the coils go out after a short spell is the coil, but i would clean up and sand the point of contact of the coil to motor or is there a black wire that is ground
I had another coil that was new. Put it on and it ran worse. So after many days of testing and checking the obvious I am ordering a coil. Thanks for posting in here to help out. I will post up the results.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Yes, a loss of spark can cause backfiring. If spark is lost and gas is going into the cylinder, then spark returns...BANG. Since you replaced the TCI, I would suspect loss of ground or 12 volts on the blue wire lead, you could check for that with a volt meter when pushing on the accelerator pedal. Inspect the "connector plug" from the TCI to the wire harness carefully for a spade not making full contact (sometimes the spade comes out of the socket). Did you buy a OEM TCI ?, I don't ttrust aftermarket stuff. Sounds old school, but I find a match book cover to be the perfect gap and the magnets cant stick. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Flippz
Not Yet Wild

Thanks small block. The tci came with the cart. I Checked the 12 volt at the blue wire this am. Was good also checked at the kill switch and was good. I believe I have a bad coil. I have the old one on there as it runs a few hundred yards were as the new provided one will not make it out the driveway.
This is my theory. The kid had the first issue and put on the new one (its bad) then still had the same issue. He then started with the carb and the fuel pump thinking some thing else was wrong. Like me I avoided saying the coil for three days as I had a spare to swap with it. I am now ordering OEM coil.

I will keep you posted.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Flippz
Not Yet Wild

Update:
Installed the new coil this evening. Went great, installed with the proper gap, used the card board of the box for the gap. Started right up and ran for about 20 min non stop with only one back fire when I first started. Maybe valves as I adjusted them in the three days I was working on it. Other than that did great.

Thanks for all the help.

Scott Ross
Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Flippz
Not Yet Wild

Pics of my cart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (210.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha