lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default batteries

Bought a 78 Taylor Dunn cart a couple weeks ago. The guy said the batteries were 2010. There are four of one kind and two of another.

My son in law got a voltage tester so we could test the batteries. I'm not sure how much he had driven the cart after the last time he charged it, but I'm sure it wasn't much. The four batteries of one type all tested 6.38 or 6.41. The other two tested 6.28 and 5.99. I'm thinking we need to replace the two low ones, but is the 6.28 ok. We did take the cart on a long ride to where we hunt at the river a few days ago, it was probably about 2 miles round trip. It had no problems, but I'm guessing with better batteries we'd have more speed.

If we want to test the batteries again, what is the best procedure?

I'm guessing charge and let sit for a while. Drive it some and then test again. Or should we test while driving.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
arcedout
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: batteries

Have you checked the water levels in all the batteries? If not thats the first thing I would do... Make sure you use di water or distilled and only top them off after fully charged from what I've read after they sit a bit I would think.. If it comes down to having to replace those 2 batts I wouldnt buy new unless you replace all 6... Find 2 used batts instead
arcedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
crash test dummy

arcedout is correct
you should put full charge on pack (let charger turn off on its own)
then let pack rest for 12hrs to get a good reading
as for the batteries that are low .. are they used for 12v accessories ?
if so change to another 12v draw

as for more speed thats not what better batteries get you
you get better run time
Old 07-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
reinman88
Gone Wild

The charger like the cart is old so it only has a timer, no automatic turnoff.

There are no accessories connected to the cart so the two that are lower, are just lower. The two low batteries look different then the others, so the other 4 may be newer. It could be the 4 are 2010, and the two are older. Not sure on that.

We checked water level and it was fine.

I'll tell my son in law to put a charge on it, and we'll let it sit for 12 hours and then test the batteries again.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
reinman88
Gone Wild

Got an update on the batteries.

Put a full charge on yesterday. About an hour after shutting the charger off we checked the batteries. Four were 6.5, one was 6.4 and one was 6.15. Total was 38.85.

My daughter took the girls for a ride around the yard and down the road a bit. Probably 15 minutes run time max. That was about 7 pm last night, right after we did our check. Keeping them off the cart even that long after charging was a challenge. Now at 1 pm the next day I checked the batteries. Four where 6.4, one at 6.3, and the last one at 5.95. Total was 38 volts.

Clearly we have one bad battery. If we look for a used battery to replace that one, will we gain much as far as running time is concerned? Also will replacing the bad battery increase speed, or just running time?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
crash test dummy

yes.. go with a used battery, if possible .. you will only gain a small amount of run time and no increase in speed ... if you have children driving your cart you do not want more speed... but if you really want more speed look into a 42v~48v upgrade
Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
reinman88
Gone Wild

Thanks for the info. Speed isn't that big of deal, and with a cart this old, a 78, there's only so much you could do anyway.

Run time is the bigger factor if we take it to the river for hunting come fall. It's a couple mile round trip with a big hill to go up on the way home. So distance and the ability to make it up the hill are more important. Right now the cart makes it up the hill, though you would probably walk about as fast for the last half of the hill. But the main point is you don't have to walk because the cart makes it.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
crash test dummy

just remember to keep batteries watered and cables clean & tight .. when you get new batteries get new cables .. my 36v cc goes about 15miles before dieing
Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
reinman88
Gone Wild

We've been thinking of new cables. The current cables are 6, we were thinking of 2. Or with our older cart will there be much difference between 2 and 4.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
crash test dummy

everyone swears by the 2g wire but i don't feel the cost justifies the gain in our older carts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts