lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

Default battery and charging question

i just picked up a new to me Taylor Dunn pickup. its a 36 volt cart, are the batteries supposed to be hooked up like this? a positive lead that goes right to the negative lead to the other battery? im thinking yes cause that's how you get to 36 volts right?

also im plugging in the charger and the charger is only hooked to the battery on the right, and that battery is reading 15 volts and the other 2 are only reading 11.5, im thinking its not charging properly? do I need to move one of the charging leads to another battery?
[IMG][/IMG]
davekayse62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery and charging question

. . . golf cart batteries are wired in a series circuit, so yes, the positive from one goes to negative of next, resulting in cumulative voltage . . . the battery charger should be connected to the + on one end of the pack, and in some way, the - should be connected on the opposite end of the pack . . . not sure how a Taylor is wired, so I can't provide any more of a definitive answer for that . . . you may want to check the specific gravity in all the cells and load test batteries also . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

ok I moved the positive charging wire to the battery on the left. now it seems to be charging evenly.

another question. how long do you normally charge it for and how do you know when its fully charged? the charger has an amp gauge on it and right now its reading 14 amps and its been on for about an hour. it does have a timer on it but does it stop charging when its fully charged?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . typically, TD vehicles charge in 8-10 hours . . . what type of charger? . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
shaffer88
Gone Wild

Depends on the type of charger. How long it takes depends on the charger and the state of charge the battery pack is in
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: battery and charging question

well the charger I have been using is a Lester electrical. it looks orginal to the truck, its an 84.

I have a newer ez go charger that came with it also, haven't used it,

I plugged the charger in for a couple of hrs the other day and only the right battery was getting warm. but the guy had the charger only hooked to that battery when I got the cart. im thinking that one is charged but the others still need it.

so im gonna remove the batteries and charge them individually to get them all even with a 12v car battery charger I have in the garage, then try the 36 volt from there
Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

after playing with the cart last night, I found that all of the screw post studs are internally bad on all of the batteries!, so I moved all of my terminals to the big round posts and now all it good.

when I check the batteries on the screw posts I was only getting 50-100 cca, but on the round posts I get 600-700 cca. so weird that all would show bad but what ever I guess.

I use this tester and it has never let me down. http://www.toolsource.com/digital-ba...-p-111732.html

Tags
taylor dunn
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts