lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
igotboost
Not Yet Wild

Default Major difference between 2009 and 2011 RXV electric?

I'm brand new to EZ-GO. I had a CC DS the last few years and heard that the RXV is a better stock solution for hills which I have plenty of where I'm at so I'm looking to make the switch. I have the choice between a 2009 RXV for $2k and a 2011 RXV for $2,200. Both are electric fleet carts and are completely stock.

Is there a significant difference between the two years that I should be taking into account or am I safe to just base my purchase on condition and body color?
igotboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Major difference between 2009 and 2011 RXV electric?

And battery age/condition.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #3
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Both are basically the same.

Both should have Danaher controllers.
There could be a small difference in motors- encoder bearing vs encoder gear.
The early 2009 may have the original solenoid and lever style "Parking/Emergency" brake.
If so, replacing sol and brake would eliminate these problematic items.

We sell and service RXV's from 2008 mods to new and have no reliability issues from the earlier carts.

Be sure to test drive and listen for rear end whine. Whine does not seem to cause
any problems, it is just expensive to get rid of. Usually the best way to eliminate whine is to replace rear end.

Lift front wheels off ground check for bad bushings at outer A arm (outside near wheel at bottom of coil-over shock tower.)
Look for excessive play in steering box. Ends of rack and pinion assy.
steering box is not serviceable- if it has play it is sold as assy only .
RXV's are very picky about battery condition. Fleet carts with bulk(single point) watering systems can have bad batteries.
There is a drop in replacement battery tray that changes cart from 4x12v to 6x8v battery configuration.

Fid out if there is good shop -- people who know RXV's who will work with/support you.
RXV's are great carts. The Computerized control system can cause you problems if you are not familiar with it.
You can NOT just do it the way you did with other carts. You will damage controller- a big money mistake.

Hope this helps.

I will try to answer any questions you have.

Good Luck!!!
Keep us posted !!!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
igotboost
Not Yet Wild

Thanks HiTech. Would I be better off just getting the 2011 for an extra $200 then?
I do prefer the color of the 2009, but not at the expense of some of the possible issues that you mentioned.

Is there a particular time that you can hear the rear end whine (accelerating, breaking, down hill, high speed, etc)
or is it evident whenever the cart is moving?

Is there a preference between the 4x12v vs the 6x8v configuration? The shop selling the carts said that they charge
them all and then discharge them to get an idea which ones are in the best shape.
I'm not naive enough to believe that they are going to be looking out for my best interests though.

I'm not planning on doing anything too crazy. The shop said they can program it to top speed (19.5 mph)
and after that the best way to increase speed is to increase tire size. I probably wouldn't do more than this initially.
Down the road I might look at other options.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Not many "Lever" brakes in use . Most have already swapped out to new style.
Same for old sol.
Dealer could verify which is in older cart and might swap out for a sale.

Don't "lock" brakes up and slide the rear wheels. That is very hard on "parking/Emergency" brake and will cause failure.

6x8v is better batt config. 4x12 is not that bad. Just stay on top of batt maint and charging.

19.5 is factory top speed. (legal dept )

Tires that fit under UN-LIFTED cart will get @22mph. Well within reasonable speed.

I do not recommend high speed gears.

We use low profile tires for on road driving at speed. Better control-less wobble/wallow in turns.

As for installed batts, 4 years is about the expected lifespan for 4x12v batts.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
igotboost
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all your help guys. I just bought a 2009 RXV. It was a fleet car at a private course in Utah and is in great shape. Batteries discharged at 75 minutes so should last me another couple of years. I absolutely love the cart. I was skeptical about the claim that it doesn't slow going up hills, but when I took it on the first hill I was blown away! It didn't slow down at all! I put on some 10" wheels with SpeedRacer tires. Clocked it at 22.5 mph. I am so excited about this thing. I've got a couple of electrical questions that I'll address in a different thread. Thanks again for the suggestion HiTech!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
bearcat401k
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
Both are basically the same.

Both should have Danaher controllers.
There could be a small difference in motors- encoder bearing vs encoder gear.
The early 2009 may have the original solenoid and lever style "Parking/Emergency" brake.
If so, replacing sol and brake would eliminate these problematic items.

We sell and service RXV's from 2008 mods to new and have no reliability issues from the earlier carts.

Be sure to test drive and listen for rear end whine. Whine does not seem to cause
any problems, it is just expensive to get rid of. Usually the best way to eliminate whine is to replace rear end.

Lift front wheels off ground check for bad bushings at outer A arm (outside near wheel at bottom of coil-over shock tower.)
Look for excessive play in steering box. Ends of rack and pinion assy.
steering box is not serviceable- if it has play it is sold as assy only .
RXV's are very picky about battery condition. Fleet carts with bulk(single point) watering systems can have bad batteries.
There is a drop in replacement battery tray that changes cart from 4x12v to 6x8v battery configuration.

Fid out if there is good shop -- people who know RXV's who will work with/support you.
RXV's are great carts. The Computerized control system can cause you problems if you are not familiar with it.
You can NOT just do it the way you did with other carts. You will damage controller- a big money mistake.

Hope this helps.

I will try to answer any questions you have.

Good Luck!!!
Keep us posted !!!
I wounder if you could help me, I'm working on my neighbors 09 RXV and he pulled the grey wire that starts from the charger plug, it has a red and black wire inside but no clue where they should go, any help would be appreciated

Thanks
bearcat401k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotboost View Post
Thanks for all your help guys. I just bought a 2009 RXV. It was a fleet car at a private course in Utah and is in great shape. Batteries discharged at 75 minutes so should last me another couple of years. I absolutely love the cart. I was skeptical about the claim that it doesn't slow going up hills, but when I took it on the first hill I was blown away! It didn't slow down at all! I put on some 10" wheels with SpeedRacer tires. Clocked it at 22.5 mph. I am so excited about this thing. I've got a couple of electrical questions that I'll address in a different thread. Thanks again for the suggestion HiTech!
I predict you will learn to love the automatic parking brake.
There is a factory plug n play battery meter but they don't have a good reputation in my area. I went with the tried n true in the photo.
Don't mess with the key switch or it's wiring. If you want to add switched accessories check with a knowledgeable local tech or seek guidance here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0368.jpg (107.1 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just wanted to add one thing for those that may read this thread in the future, they early RXV's tapped a single 12V battery for the 12V accessories, this could cause problems throwing the controller into limp mode when headlights and other high draw 12V accessories were turned on. So a 48V to 12V DC-DC converter was added in early to mid 2010.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO