lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2015, 01:19 AM   #1
shadfish3
Not Yet Wild

Smile Wide open

I have a 2003 EZ-GO 36 volt golf cart. When I press the acceleration pedal it takes off wide open even if it is just barely pushed. It's been doing this a while and I kinda thought it was the controller but I hate to replace it as expensive as those things are and that not be the problem. Was wondering if it could be something else or looking for a way to test and make sure that's what the problem is. Thanks all help is greatly appreciated.
shadfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wide open

03 Ezgo has an ITS throttle signal device. If the cart was working fine and developed this problem then the ITS unit or the controller has failed. If this problem began after a controller change then the control is not matched to the ITS throttle signal.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I believe the ITS is a cheaper fix than the controller, but if it turns out to be the controller, the least expensive way to go is a rebuild (about 1/2 new) or used. Scottyb can help you trouble shoot the problem and provide what you need to fix. The 'stickies' should have some solid info on the ITS trouble shooting as would a search of previous posts.
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Rebuilt controller is a misleading description.

I challenge anybody to list the parts replace on a rebuilt controller. There is no such list.

These controls are repaired. Not rebuilt. What you are buying is a repaired used electronic. And because damage to these controllers is accumulative until failure - most last a little while and fail again.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
shadfish3
Not Yet Wild

It's been doing this for at least 5 years or longer. I have just been dealing with it. But ready to fix it now. What and where is the ITS ?
shadfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Scotty's right about rebuild, not the same as new. However, I have had mine for 2 years and it works great. Cartpartsrus.com and ctsman.com are two sources for rebuilds. Mine is a Curtis series controller rebuilt by CTS Reman in CA - they were very easy to contact and my order had perfect execution. Also, I would probably not go with a rebuild on any of the newer self programmable controllers, but that is just the opinion of a guy who doesn't mess with the computer on his car either, but this is great for those who do. Enjoy the project!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #7
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

ITS - throttle box in my cart is under driver side floor. It is accessible through the top, but I didn't want to cut my carpet so I went at it from underneath. Make sure you find an electrical schematic and get info on how to test. It could be an easy fix with just an adjustment of the plunger, but I'm just guessing. Scotty would know exactly how to test and fix. The testing has been described on other posts. You,ve got a micro switch in there that also could be bad or you need to replace the ITS (inductive throttle sensor) or the wire harness or?? Remember, I'm no expert, but I am not afraid to mess with anything on my cart. Enjoy!!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

bad wire harness was left out on previous post
Old 06-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

From previous posts. This may help.

TS - INDUCTIVE THROTTLE SENSOR
There are three parts to the system.
1. a voltage source from the controller
2. a plunger and coil in the pedal box under the floor mat
3. a throttle position translator in the controller.

Basically, when you press down on the pedal, a metal rod is inserted into (through) the sensor coil in the pedal box, changing the inductance of the coil, which reduces the voltage signal sent through it and this varying voltage signal tells the controller to pass more current to the motor.

The voltage at Pin-2 (Black wire) should be 9.0V to 11.5V
At Pin-1 (White wire), with pedal just pushed until the solenoid clicks should read 0.4V - 0.6V.
With pedal on floor, it should read 1.5V - 1.7V These readings are true for the Curtis control. The Alltrax control uses a higher voltage. The throttle signal should start at 10 V and go down to 6 V.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO