lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
BDann
Not Yet Wild

Default Another Battery Question....

I'm a rookie with carts, and I've got a 36V EZGO cart that I need some battery help with. Four of the batteries are 4 year old Continentals, and read 6.18V after a full charge. The other 2 batteries are Super Starts a bit over a year old, and read 6.4V after a full charge. My range is pretty poor, and lacking ooomph.

Do I need to ditch the 4 year old batteries at this point? I'm planning on upgrading to 48v immediately, so I would be buying 6 new 6v batteries if I went that route. Or I could just buy 6 8V batteries and be done with it.

Any sage advice from the experts?
BDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Another Battery Question....

The proper fully charged reading is taken after 12 - 24 hours of rest/settling after charging. Do you need to repost your findings?
I prefer 6/8v. They weigh about 150 pounds less than 8/6v.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
BDann
Not Yet Wild

I checked them a couple of times after a full charge, after waiting a minimum of 12 hours. I was hoping to save some dinero on batteries, but perhaps I should buy a whole new set.
BDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It is best to have all the batteries in a battery pack as closely matched as possible and practical. IE: Same brand, same model and same age.

The four 4 year old batteries are good for trade in cores, but that's about it.
If the two 1+ year old batteries are used with new batteries, the four (or six) new batteries will soon be 1+ years old also.

For maximum performance, go with 6 X 8V. (Less weight)
For maximum range, go with 8 x 6V. (More stored energy)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A whole new set yields the best results. When mixing new and old batteries the new batteries are converted to the state of the old batteries rather quickly.

On your readings 6.4 is 100%
What does the pack voltage drop to when the cart is under load like hard acceleration uphill?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDann View Post
I checked them a couple of times after a full charge, after waiting a minimum of 12 hours. I was hoping to save some dinero on batteries, but perhaps I should buy a whole new set.
About the only way to "save" money on batteries is buying a matched set of the highest AH batteries your budget allows at the best price you can find locally.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO