lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO RXV - Give me the good and bad

I am considering a used EZGO RXV. I have read a lot of good things about them, but I also would like to know what to watch out for.
Are there certain years models that have more issues than others?
What are my upgrade options for speed/torque?

My usage would be 2 adults and 2 kids on pavement with moderate hills. I would like top speed around 23 MPH. Will a stock one do this? Or do I need some aftermarket upgrades.

Thanks!
mattadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
MattFX4
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO RXV - Give me the good and bad

I researched this before buying my project cart. Rxv's don't have many power upgrades available except for a $1,300 350 amp controller from ezgo. I believe top speed is 19 mph on stock tires. I've heard they have plenty of torque once moving, but if stopped and attempting to start on a hill you may run in to some issues.
MattFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
biggie1976
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

We consistently get 25 to 26 out of our cart in our neighborhood with me and the wife. Our child is only 2 so her weight is negligible. 6 inch life 14 " rims and 23 " tires. 2013 4vx.
biggie1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Any other upgrades to make it hit 25 mph besides the larger tires?
Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
biggie1976
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

No sir bone stock.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:35 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

To make it go 25mph, the common path is high speed gears (which kills torque and is not good for braking performance or batteries either) ok for use on flats or mild hills. The 2012 and prior models have limited programability (like "high, medium, low" instead of "any number between 0 and 255", thats not amps, but things like how fast the power is applied). If it werent for its limited programming, i would like the early controller better (even tho it has PITA parts involved like "resistor control module", i feel it has more power even at the same factory "rating" than the new "curtis" models). Once you fully understand them, they are both easy (both versions of RXV). It is a very, very competent cart in stock form (the best until competitors -'yamaha'- caught on to the advantages of AC) Number one concern that would cause me to walk away from any rxv purchase is any corrosion, look at the wires, at the small wires in the harness at the front left of the batteries (the wires that go to the gas & brake pedal area), and look at the small harness wires that go to the motor area at the right rear area of the batteries (that go to the motor along with the big 3 wires, they are the encoder & temp sensor wires). If those small wires are discolored or "funny looking" at all, that will equal trouble for you.. A new wire harness will be in the future. Cleaning/neutralizing the acid will solve the problems, but, like an old injury, it will be back whenever its wet or disturbed. I currently dont know of a good permenent fix, because of where the wires are ran (at "school" they said "we changed the insulation, you wont see that anymore", a big fat B.S. on that one). The end of my rant is this.... Buy only a clean RXV, and install high speed gears to go 25mph if you are on no more than moderate hills. The torque is very good once it is moving, but 12v batteries are a limiting factor (i work on 'em, if i owned one, my first upgrade would be a new battery tray to fit a better set of 8v batteries). I dont dislike the rxv, but i do know its weak points. Treat the brake pedal with respect on it (dont "mash" it 'till it locks the wheels, that will cost $), it stops fine without that, with stock gears as intended. I would buy it any time before i considered a 'precident' or a non-AC "drive" i wanted to leave stock (they all go 19mph when programmed to do so). The issue of "no reasonable priced upgrades" is true for rxv power. I will likely hear some flack for this (and i could guess the names), i dont care, i am posting from my experience in the market we sell in, some 'flat land use, some hills, some big hills, some 'i golf and expect this amount of range, i dont care if i _fill in the blank_'.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #7
biggie1976
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

We have not upgraded our gears in our cart. Thanks for the info on the harness and wires. I will keep a check on those. I am very happy with the performance and I personally see no need for us to go faster than 25 or 26 MPH in a golf cart. As you noted above the torque on the cart is very good when the cart is in motion. I dont see the drop off Ive seen in my friends TXT and CC Precedent.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #8
MattFX4
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I say go for it. It's the latest and greatest technology. My plans are to use my txt cart I am building for a few years and then sell it to by an AC powered cart. Maybe one of the new Yamaha's after they start hitting the used market.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #9
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO RXV - Give me the good and bad

What model of Yamaha's are AC? Any in the club car family?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
MattFX4
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattadata View Post
What model of Yamaha's are AC? Any in the club car family?
I think the Yamaha AC's just came out recently. Like 2015 models. Not sure about CC, I don't think they have an AC cart yet. Maybe one of the experts can chime in.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO