lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #1
outdoorsed
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default What did I fry? on my 956E

I was working on my cart tonight around the ignition. I found it interesting that there were two hot wires going into the ignition a solid blue one on one side of the ignition and a white one with a blue strip on the other side. I believe the blue one is the throttle and brake light and the white/blue is head lights.. anyways I accidentally touched two prongs at the same time with my voltage tester got a good spark and lost my drive and brake light. I checked the four fuses back by the motor they all seem fine. what do I do? did I fry the ignition?
outdoorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What did I fry? on my 956E

If you have the keyswitch that turns on the headlights when the key is turned past the ON position, it has two separate circuits and two voltages.

The Blue wire has 48V on it 100% of the time. When the key is in the ON position or Lights position, the 48V is connected to the green wire, which goes to microswitch MS-2 on the F/R assembly, then on to the pedal microswitch and then to the solenoid coil and controller.

There should be two white/blue wires, one is from the fuse block and has 12V on it. The other goes to the headlights, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals.

If you shorted the 48V circuit to the 12V circuit, just about every switch in the cart and all the light bulbs could have gotten zapped and it sounds like more than one did.

Treat it like two problems, which it is.
Troubleshoot the 48V circuit and the troubleshoot the 12V circuit.

Schematics for both are in the service manual.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
outdoorsed
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I wished that you lived in Connecticut Johnny because I sure could use your help on this electrical I cannot find the short
Old 09-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Start from square one.

What, if anything, on the cart works?

What is the pack voltage? (36V or 48V)
Old 09-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
outdoorsed
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

In the back by the charger connection there was a fuse it is called a reed apparently I had blowen it it was a 1.5 amp fuse I switched it out and everything came back on thank God!
Old 09-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsed View Post
In the back by the charger connection there was a fuse it is called a reed apparently I had blowen it it was a 1.5 amp fuse I switched it out and everything came back on thank God!
Glad to hear you found the problem and fixed it.

No, a reed switch and a fuse are different animals, but EZGO started installing fuses instead of reed switches because reed switches are high failure items and they have a nasty habit of failing when the cart is out in the middle of nowhere.

A reed switch opens (or closes) when you hold a magnet close to it. There is a magnet in the charger's plug, so the cart is disabled when the charger is plugged into it. Most cart owner's bypass the reed switch when it fails, amd the smart ones replace it before it fails at a most inopportune time/place.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Reed switch.gif (7.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Reed Switch.jpg (23.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO