lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New Guy needs helps pls

The voltages on Pin-9 and Pin-6 tells the tale.

The voltage on Pin-9 stays about the same with pedal up or down, while Pin-6 drops 30 something volts. Those two pins are the same point electrically, so the voltages on them ought to track each other.

Someplace between the Org/Red wire feeding voltage to the F/R switch assembly and the solenoid's coil you have some switch contacts (Run switch or Key switch), or a connection, or a wire that has excessive resistance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - DCS - No Reverse Diode -KSI Traced.JPG (94.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Jb, he has 36+ at the green wire coming out of the foot switch and I believe that is the last switch before the controller. I suspect a bad wire or connection between the foot switch harness plug and the controller. Jumper to test it?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

KG, the voltage feed to the pedal switch comes from the Positive side of the solenoid coil, so the voltage is screwed up before it gets to the pedal switch.

I'm not sure how he is getting pack voltage on Pin-5 before the pedal is pushed, but I suspect if he jumpers B+ to the small solenoid terminal with three wires on it, the solenoid will close when pedal is pushed. But, I might be wrong.

The voltage on Pin-3 is strange also. How does it get to be greater than the applied voltage?
Old 01-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #14
MDOVERALL
Not Yet Wild

ok gents I went out there and the red wire with white stripe at the charging plug in that runs to the passenger side and goes in as wire 10 to the plug is 1.2 at the charger, 1.2 at the middle where the plug is and full 37.2 at the 10 plug controller

The solid red at the controller and plug is 37.2

The green at the plug is 0.0

The yellow wire that comes off the key is full at 37.2 at the key and the controller plug
couldn't reach the other wire (white and yellow) behind the key

the white and yellow wire that comes of the key goes to the passenger side of the solenoid and plugs in there and is 0.0 when on tow and 7.1 on run

I went back and checked pin 3 and 5 in case I screwed something up

pin 3 on tow 36.5 on run 36.5 with pedal down 36.5

pin 5 on tow 0.00, on run 0.00, whit the pedal down on run 4.7
MDOVERALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Taking voltage readings all over the place is counterproductive.

The solenoid has two large terminals and two small terminals. The solenoid does not click when the pedal is pushes, so we focus on the small terminals, which have the solenoid's coil between them.

One of the small terminals has three wires connected to it and the other has one wire. The terminal with three wires is the voltage source (B+) for the solenoid coil and the terminal with one wire connects the other side of the coil back to the battery pack (B-) through the controller, when the controller is told to do so.

Connect your DVM's Black test lead to the main negative terminal and the Red test lead to the solenoid's small terminal with the three wires on it.

With no charger connected to cart, Run/Tow switch in Run, Key on and either F or R selected on the direction selector, you should have full battery pack voltage (you mentioned the battery pack voltage was 37.7V, so it ought to be 37.7V).

When the pedal is pushed, the voltage on the solenoid's small terminal with three wires attached, should remain at or near full battery pack voltage.

If it does not stay at or near full battery pack voltage, check the voltage on both sides of the key switch. (You've indicated it drops to 4.6V)

If the voltage at both side of the key switch drops significantly below full battery pack voltage when pedal is pushed, check the voltage at both sides of the Run Switch on the F/R switch assembly.

Your cart may have more than one problem, but I am about 99.9% certain that either the Run switch on the F/R assembly, or the keyswitch, or wires between them, or their connectors, is bad.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #16
MDOVERALL
Not Yet Wild

ok sir I checked again and this is what I found

B+ or 3 wire is 0 on tow, 7.1 on run, and 4.6 on run with pedal down and in gear

B- or 1 wire is 0 on tow, 7.1 on run, and 4.6 on run with pedal down and in gear

Battery side of solenoid is 37.2 on tow, 37.2 on run, and 37.2 on run with pedal down

Outside solenoid terminal is 34.4 on tow 37.2 on run, and 37.2 on run with pedal down

I took a small wire and connected the two wires from the ignition ( one is yellow and one is white/ yellow) and made a jumper but that still didn't fix it.

I tested it and on the in side its 37.2 and with the key on 37.2

I went to the F and Rev and it has two small wires on two switches that go in a plug. I tested the plugs and on the incoming side its 37.2 on both. I followed the wires to the 10 pin plug on the controller and with its in forward I get 7.1 at the pin and when its in reverse I get a full 37.2 at the pin.

I borrowed a new solenoid from a friend and put that on but same things occur.

There is also a small little circuit board looking thing (maybe the resistor) that go between both of the big lugs on the solenoid, in case that matters.

sorry to be a pain but appreciate your help.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:06 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDOVERALL View Post
1. B+ or 3 wire is 0 on tow, 7.1 on run, and 4.6 on run with pedal down and in gear

2. I went to the F and Rev and it has two small wires on two switches that go in a plug. I tested the plugs and on the incoming side its 37.2 on both. I followed the wires to the 10 pin plug on the controller and with its in forward I get 7.1 at the pin

3. and when its in reverse I get a full 37.2 at the pin.
I edited out the extraneous stuff.

1. The 7.1V is abnormal. It should be 37.x or whatever your battery pack voltage is.

2. You have a bad switch on the F/R assembly. 37.2V in and 7.1V out.

3. Does the solenoid click when the pedal is pushed when in Reverse?

---------
Does you F/R assembly look the same as the on in the attached picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Early DCS F-R with diode-.jpg (195.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #18
MDOVERALL
Not Yet Wild

no sir the solenoid does nothing, no click no nosie at all

the F & R switch looks different then your pic. It has a circular disk about 4 in across and the reverse side is on the passengers side and it has spot on the disk that as you rotate it pushes in a lever attached to a switch. The switch has 2 very thin wires on it that goes to a plug. The plug runs back to the controller.

This is not the best pic but only one I have right now and not with the cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F & R.JPG (121.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDOVERALL View Post
no sir the solenoid does nothing, no click no nosie at all

the F & R switch looks different then your pic. It has a circular disk about 4 in across and the reverse side is on the passengers side and it has spot on the disk that as you rotate it pushes in a lever attached to a switch. The switch has 2 very thin wires on it that goes to a plug. The plug runs back to the controller.

This is not the best pic but only one I have right now and not with the cart.
Okay, you have the later version of the DCS F/R switch. Your statement about the voltage on a not fully identified pin on the controller having 7.1V in F and 37.2V in R led me to believe you had the earlier version I posted a picture of.

When the lever is pushed towards the driver side (Forward), on the microswitch on the driver side should be activated, and you should have full battery pack voltage on Pin-6 (as well as on the solenoid's small terminal with 3 wires.) Pin-4 should be zero volts.

When lever is pushed towards the passenger side (Reverse), both of the switches should be activated and you should have full battery pack voltage on both Pin-6 and on Pin-4.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #20
MDOVERALL
Not Yet Wild

well gents a buddy gave me a guy number that works at a ezgo dealer and for 30 bucks came looked at it found that a wire under the cart had gotten frayed and was not working. he replaced it and it works....thanks for your help I really appreciate you efforts.

Johnnie B question for you or I can start a new thread if needed.

With this cart it has a lift and is stock. I was thinking of leaving of leaving 36v adding a new alltrex xct controller either a 400 with a fan or the 500 comes with the fan set to 400 so I have the option to upgrade later. Or do the 42v with the same controller. For just regular running around for my kids what is your suggestion. and what size tires would you use 21 or 22. thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO