lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default adding 1 battery to a 36 volt cart??

came across an old 36 volt ezgo , maybe a 96-99?

Completly stock. It is NOT a resistor cart, has the lever f/r. Very slow, top speed is 12 -13 mph.

Can i add one 6 volt battery, and get a 42 volt charger, and do nothing else to the cart?

Want to get 18-19 mph if the extra battery will do that. So can i get away with changing nothing else but the extra battery and the 42 volt charger?

How much speed do you think i can pick up by doing this?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: adding 1 battery to a 36 volt cart??

With a series drive, speed increase is directly proportional to voltage increase.
Going from 36V to 42V is 16.7% voltage increase so the speed would theoretically increase from 12 - 13 MPH to 14 - 15.2 MPH.

If you increased the pack voltage to 48V, the theoretical speed would be 16 - 17.3 MPH.

----------
The stock controller and solenoid probably won't last very long running at a voltage higher than what they are rated for.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sure you can - but you need a 42V charger.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys, and Happy Easter!

So assuming my numbers are correct, Johnnie you calculate 15 mph, with just adding 1 battery. If besides adding that 1 battery, and also going to 10" tires, what speed do you think that would get? 17?

Don't want to go to 48 volt, because i would have to change more than the batteries and charger, and cart is not worth that. I would dump the cart and get a 48 volt cart, if that is the case.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post

So assuming my numbers are correct, Johnnie you calculate 15 mph, with just adding 1 battery. If besides adding that 1 battery, and also going to 10" tires, what speed do you think that would get? 17?

Don't want to go to 48 volt, because i would have to change more than the batteries and charger, and cart is not worth that. I would dump the cart and get a 48 volt cart, if that is the case.
10" would be rim diameter, which doesn't affect speed. Tire height is what changes speed (and torque).

If the cart has 18" tall tires on it now and you went to 20" tall tires, the speed would theoretically increase to 16.9 MPH, but you'd a;so lose about 10% of the available torque, so in reality, the speed gain would be a bit less.

20" tall tires should not require cart to be lifted. Also, use high pressure tires (Max inflation pressure 20 PSI or greater)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:

is it a series or sepex, if sepex I might be enterested if you dump it.
PM me if you decide to dump it
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #7
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

vagabond, this cart is a series cart. If you are looking for something, you can pm me. I probably have close to 30 carts of my own right now.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:02 AM   #8
Alamo
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
came across an old 36 volt ezgo , maybe a 96-99?

Completly stock. It is NOT a resistor cart, has the lever f/r. Very slow, top speed is 12 -13 mph.

Can i add one 6 volt battery, and get a 42 volt charger, and do nothing else to the cart?

Want to get 18-19 mph if the extra battery will do that. So can i get away with changing nothing else but the extra battery and the 42 volt charger?

How much speed do you think i can pick up by doing this?
I hate necroposting, but how did this work out for you? What kind of gains did you get?
Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
I hate necroposting, but how did this work out for you? What kind of gains did you get?
considering how old this is....the chance they are still around is slight....but insted of resurection an old thread, take a shot and send them a PM and if they are still around you will get an answer.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #10
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
Appears the original poster is still around. They logged in 5 days ago.....as far as 42 volts go many westerns (built on ezgo platforms) were made to be 42 volts. My 42 volt series cart goes 22 mph but I believe it has an upgraded motor as well as a 7th battery. I actually have 2-42 volt western carts. No issues.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO