lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #11
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Range calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
I did the test. A couple issues came up.

First, my handheld multi-meter only goes to tenths of volt. Funny, the meter I got from Scotty reads exactly 3 tenths of a volt higher. I have a second meter from Scotty. I guess I need to check it. Of course, I don't know which is right. My multi is not a high doller unit, but not junk either.

The second thing, I didn't realize my GPS had a odometer. The only problem is it only shows miles. (Not tenths)

The third thing, I just realized my Volkswagen's odometer doesn't work. The car is only forty two years old. I wonder if it's under warentee.

I checked the run with my other car and it was 3.8 miles, but the GPS said 4.

In any case, it would appear I get about a mile per tenth of a volt. That works out to about twenty four miles from 100 to 50 % soc.

I did this test at 15 mph. (As best I could) Next test will be at full throttle. How much do you figure that will change.
I have a bunch of free HF multi meters and they pretty much read exactly what The more expensive ones do. So I would go with the volt meter.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2016, 09:39 PM   #12
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
I have a bunch of free HF multi meters and they pretty much read exactly what The more expensive ones do. So I would go with the volt meter.
Is there some reason that Scottys would read high? Like hooking it up through the key switch? I will check the red one I have tomarrow. (The high one is blue) I took three readings before the run, after the run and after a rest. It was always three tenths higher than my multi.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #13
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have no idea? Do you have another multi meter to read it with?

Mabe it's a cheap meter. ..but usually they are consistent with each other.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #14
Helirich
Gone Wild

I'll look in to it more today.

Back to the range issue. Does anyone see a reason that I shouldn't run "full throttle" for 4 miles? I will probably feel the motor and cables at the half way point. If there really hot, I might let it cool. If I can keep my hand on it, is it safe to continue?

I have driven my Marithon that far full throttle lots of times, but it's not nearly as powerful.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The max recommended case temperature for a motor with Class-H insulation is 239°F, so if you can keep your hand on it, it is save to continue.

The cables and connections, shouldn't be more than about 10°F, or so, above the air temperature.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #16
Helirich
Gone Wild

Well I did the test and almost bought a new motor. LOL.

Of course there were a few issues.

I got it out on the dirt road and hit the gas. The speed went right up to 25-26. After a bit, I looked down and saw the speed was up to 28mph. So far so good. Then at the one mile mark, I had to turn. Would you know it, the county was grading the road. So instead of a nice smooth packed dirt road, it was soft graded dirt. This slowed the cart down to 23-24 mph.

I wished I terminated the test right there, but I kept on. I went the second mile and stopped to check the cart before turning around. The cables between the batteries were not even warm. The two cables that go to the motor were just slightly warm. The controller was stone cold and the fan was not even running.

So far so good. Next I reached in the wheel well and touched the motor next to the gearbox. Just a little warm. Then I reached in the other wheel well and touched the motor end with the cables. This was warm to hot. The place I stopped was overlooking a pretty farm with horses, so I sat there about five minutes to watch and let the motor cool a little.

So after about five minutes, I figured I would check the motor one more time before heading back. Well, things changed to say the least. The end next to the gearbox was hot now and the end with the cables could be discribed as "the gates of hell".

So I decided to watch the horses some more. I waited 20 minutes and it was still too hot to keep my hand on it for a count of five. I needed to go, so the test was over. I drove about 12-14 mph home and immediately squirted water on the motor. I have well water that is very cool and in a short time the motor was stone cold. I went inside to change clothes to meet my wife for lunch. I was in the house for maybe fifteen minutes. When I came back out I checked the motor. Would you believe it, the motor was hot again. The heat was radiating from the inside. I watered it down again and went to lunch.

Any ways, I used three tenths of a volt to go the two miles. So I guess at that speed it uses 50% more power. So the range at that speed would only be 16 miles. Although I'm sure the motor would melt long before that. I guess you could stop every mile and let it cool. I wish I had checked the temp when I drove at the 15 mph drive. I may try that again if it still works. Lol.

One thing I noticed, the GPS has a max speed feature. It said 30 mph. I never saw it while driving, but at some point today I had it up to 30.

If I get home and the motor is shot, I guess I will order a D&D. LOL
Old 04-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #17
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It takes a fairly long time for the heat inside to get to the case. That is why you see a delay. The hot armature has to transfer it's heat to the case. Unfortunately, none of these motors have real good cooling and it's easy to run them too hot if you have a powerful controller. For example, 100 Amps at 48V is 8.6 HP (4.8KW) If the motor is 60% efficient, you are generating almost 2KW of heat in the motor. I know that my stock motor was only rated at under 3 HP. My controller can generate way more than 100 amps! You do the math!
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #18
Helirich
Gone Wild

Well I got home and tested the cart. It seems to be OK.

It seemed like the main heat was from the aluminum end. I wonder why they don't put fins on it?
Old 04-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
It takes a fairly long time for the heat inside to get to the case. That is why you see a delay. The hot armature has to transfer it's heat to the case. Unfortunately, none of these motors have real good cooling and it's easy to run them too hot if you have a powerful controller. For example, 100 Amps at 48V is 8.6 HP (4.8KW) If the motor is 60% efficient, you are generating almost 2KW of heat in the motor. I know that my stock motor was only rated at under 3 HP. My controller can generate way more than 100 amps! You do the math!
I'm picking nits as usual, but I did do the math.

The formula for electrical horsepower is: (Volts x Amps x Efficiency)/746
Therefore, 100A at 48V is 6.4HP at 100% efficiency.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO