lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #21
crash test dummy

Default Re: First cart, used, I'm broke, what to do first?

test the motor first

motor test

WARNING you don't want to make a big spark anywhere near the battery.

jumper cables may be used
black clip on battery negative,
red clip on motor A1 post, tap the other ends together
note : use 2 wrenches on motor studs to keep them from spinning
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #22
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'd make sure the date code on flea market batteries is current. They may just be "seconds" .

But if you have limited funds and not sure what you will need to get going I would hold off on a light kit to make sure you don't need a replacement switch or something first. Then get the lights once confirmed running. If it's a freind just get the batteries with the assumption he still owes you $300 or whatever or just get him to give you batteries plus the cash you want. A light kit would not be necessary right now esp not knowing any other possible repairs it may need.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #23
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Yes, definitely check the date code on the batteries. Personally I'd stay clear of flea market batteries...not at that price. Under $300 might be ok but not $520. Most likely some issues with them you may not be aware of...flea market makes me think "used". I used to buy t105 USED for $25 a piece as is. That was take outs with a little life left in them. Mighta got 2 summers out of them....barely
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #24
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That motor test above is gonna spark upon final connection. The motor will immediately attempt a 100% draw of the battery. Do not make the final connection on a motor stud - it could damage threads. Do not make the final connection on the battery - it could ignite battery gases. Use a cheap inline battery cut off switch from tractor supply or auto zone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg series motor test 2.jpg (32.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #25
Bob Warner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK guys, motor checks out with three car batteries. Just made it work for a minute, did not drive it all around but it works.

A friend of mine that I help a lot called me and found a place that has batteries on sale and offered to buy me a set of the on sale ones as payback for all the stuff I did for him for free. I wired his workshop completely, skinned the inside and painted it inside. Also did 90% of moving the stuff in.

Anyway the batteries on sale are US Batteries, $110 each with exchange. I am assuming they are the lower end of the scale batteries but a quick search on the web doesn't blast them too badly.

So assuming they are the lower end of the spectrum I will be very happy that I don't have to pay for them and will be very happy to get them. I have seen where people have said to charge them individually and all that but If the batteries are new and charged, do I need to do anything special other than install them (with new cables)?

My plan would be to put them in and charge it overnight and expect to be good to go for hopefully a long time.

What are your opinions of the batteries (Remember I am not buying them so the cheapest batteries in the world will make me happy) and how to get them ready to go in the cart?
Bob Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #26
Bob Warner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also, can I leave the charger plugged in indefinitely? I believe it will just become a maintainer after the batteries are fully charged and should be good to stay on for extended periods of time.

The charger is the one that came with the cart when new.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #27
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Assuming the charger will "do its thing", is a great way to have ruined batteries next season. Also, most factory chargers Dont automatically reset or maintain when left for long periods of time. Didnt say what particular model charger you have, there were many from the factory.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #28
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Factory charger probably will not float charge them.

Also check out carts unlimited for proper batter brake in procedure
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #29
Bob Warner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This is the charger I have. I can't find if it maintains the battery or just charges. Will it overcharge?

Continued thanks for all the help.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #30
crash test dummy

yes it is a good charger and will do a great job of charging your batteries
battery break in (not brake in)

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO