lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #11
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: DPI charger run time?

After resting all night, my batteries read the following:
Night life is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #12
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night life View Post
After resting all night, my batteries read the following:
Ok the sad part here is after being on a charger for least half a day and an overnight rest those voltages are only showing an 80 to 90 percent state of charge, whereas well taken care of batteries would be holding better than 8.4 to 8.5 volts. I'd take the cart out for some uphill test runs with the voltage meter hooked up to one battery at a time to see if you get one or more than rapidly fall to 7 volts or more, these would be weak and/or bad batteries...

The 17 Amp Smart DPI Charger is a very good and very well liked charger...

Added the DPI Charger PDF...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DPI Chargers.pdf (475.9 KB, 0 views)
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #13
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Ok the sad part here is after being on a charger for least half a day and an overnight rest those voltages are only showing an 80 to 90 percent state of charge, whereas well taken care of batteries would be holding better than 8.4 to 8.5 volts. I'd take the cart out for some uphill test runs with the voltage meter hooked up to one battery at a time to see if you get one or more than rapidly fall to 7 volts or more, these would be weak and/or bad batteries...

The 17 Amp Smart DPI Charger is a very good and very well liked charger...

Added the DPI Charger PDF...
I'm in south Florida, there are no uphill runs!

I am going to clean terminals, top off with water and try one more charge. If nothing changes I will go with a new set of t875s... the issue is going to be compounded with a 500amp controller and executioner that I will be installing shortly.
Night life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #14
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did it ever auto shut off?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #15
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You have it under control
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #16
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night life View Post
I'm in south Florida, there are no uphill runs!
In that case load it down with several friends...
Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #17
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

The problem I find with the DPI is the amp rate is right at the edge of enough to charge a deep cycle battery. His battery readings are close to perfect, but are not equal. Hence the reason to charge it with the other charger first in an effort to get the voltages up and then have the DPI be able to keep it there in normal use.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #18
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
The problem I find with the DPI is the amp rate is right at the edge of enough to charge a deep cycle battery. His battery readings are close to perfect, but are not equal. Hence the reason to charge it with the other charger first in an effort to get the voltages up and then have the DPI be able to keep it there in normal use.
Please explain. My DPI has a higher amp output than my PD 2.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #19
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
A DPI charger doesn't have any equalization mode. Equalization requires higher voltage (63v) and higher current (10-15amps) for several hours. A DPI voltage will rise up to about 63v at the end of the charge cycle but the current will be so low (about 2 amps) it won't do any good. Plus it only lasts for 20 minutes.

Now if you connect your old PD charger with the relay bypassed it will run up to the max voltage out @10 amps. This will equalize your batteries. This is one time that 65v is good. Normally it should be down around 58V. Only problem is that you have to time it because it won't shut off automatically.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #20
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Sometimes I wonder if we quibble over kibble?

According to Trojan:
1. When do I need to perform an equalization charge?
Equalizing should be performed when a battery is first purchased (called a freshening charge) and on a regular basis as needed. How often this might occur with your battery will vary depending on your application. You will need to monitor your battery voltage and specific gravity to determine when equalization is needed. For example, it is time to equalize if the measured specific gravity values are below manufacturer’s recommended values after charging (recommended value for Trojan Deep Cycle batteries is 1.285 +/- .007 at 80º F (27º C)). Equalizing is also required if the specific gravity value of any individual cell varies 30 points or more. In addition, reduced performance can also be an indicator that equalizing is necessary. Equalization should be performed when individual battery voltages in a battery pack range greater than 0.15 volts for 6-volt batteries or 0.30 volts for 12-volt batteries.

The biggest variance here is 0.06 volts and if one calculates for an 8-Volt battery this allowance would be 0.225 volts which is almost 4 times more than the largest number in his spread...

But the batteries still should not be throwing off such heat though...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car