lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
thehill
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 EZGO Freedom TXT - Slower than it should be?

Picked up our first cart the other day for $500 - a 2000 EZGO Freedom TXT which was a fleet cart at a private PGA club and then owned by a local for the remaining time (garaged).

Great deal aside - this cart is slower than I remember from driving the Freedom line in the past from carts I didn't own personally.

I haven't GPS'd it yet, but is it possible that since this was a fleet vehicle that it was throttled down somehow?

I know since it's an early 2000's model with the under-seat FWD/REV knob that it is probably a DCS model, but it COULD also be a PCS model?

How do I confirm for sure? And is there anything else that could be slowing down the golf cart? It has 6 brand new batteries.
thehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 EZGO Freedom TXT - Slower than it should be?

The link below came from the stickys at the top of the ezgo section. It should help you ID which drive system you have.

I've since upgraded my controller, etc, but my 2001 txt freedom series cart did 19-20 from the factory. I don't have any idea if that is normal for all freedoms, but ive played a lot of golf at a lot of different courses and have never come across a fleet cart that went that fast.

See if you can get pictures of the controller and motor. Post them here and someone will know exactly what they are.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If it is truly a 2000 model year, it is most likely a PDS.

Enter the serial number on the EZGO lookup site and it should tell you what it is: https://shop.ezgo.com/customer-servi...ialNumber.html

If the serial number is missing, the number of lobes on of the hockey puck shaped cam that turns when direction selector is moved can tell you what it is. The PDS cam has one long lobe across the top. The DCS has the sane long lobe, but there is a second smaller one. Drawings of both attached.

If you cannot see the cam, take the environmental cover off the controller. A PDS controller has five multi-pin plugs on the face while a DCS controller has a single 10-pin plug on top.

------------
added

BTW: A Freedom TXT has factory lights while a Fleet TXT doesn't.

Freedom is also one of the four PDS modes and in the Freedom mode, a PDS cart will do 18-19 MPH according to EZGO specs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eary F-N-R parts list.jpg (93.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCS Direction selector-exploded view.JPG (56.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
thehill
Not Yet Wild

Here's what my serial # pulls up from the EZGO website:

Make: TXT Type: Electric 36 V Model: TXT with Lights Year: 2000

My 'knob' for FWD/REV is hammer-shaped with lobes and not like the DCS in the schematics you attached.

It also has lights and is an 'Arnold Palmer' edition.

So it looks like it's a PDS system? In that case - where is the actual spot where the molex connector is for the mode selection?
Old 03-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Can you make this easy and post a pic of the speed controller where all the wires plug in
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehill View Post
Here's what my serial # pulls up from the EZGO website:

Make: TXT
Type: Electric 36 V
Model: TXT with Lights
Year: 2000

My 'knob' for FWD/REV is hammer-shaped with lobes and not like the DCS in the schematics you attached.

It also has lights and is an 'Arnold Palmer' edition.

So it looks like it's a PDS system? In that case - where is the actual spot where the molex connector is for the mode selection?
The description from the EZGO site, indicates it is a Series drive rather than a DCS or PDS.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
thehill
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Can you make this easy and post a pic of the speed controller where all the wires plug in
Not able to post pics at the moment, but the controller model # is:

curtis pmc 25864g05

If I have a 'series' - is this a good thing? Better than regen for when I lift it and put larger rims in? And if this is a series 'freedom' model - what MPH should I be getting?
Old 03-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehill View Post
Not able to post pics at the moment, but the controller model # is:

curtis pmc 25864g05

If I have a 'series' - is this a good thing? Better than regen for when I lift it and put larger rims in? And if this is a series 'freedom' model - what MPH should I be getting?
The current part number is 25864g09, but that is a controller for a series drive.
https://shop.ezgo.com/products/Speed...roduct_id=1906

Attached are the Specs for Fleet and Freedom TXT body variants. As previously mentioned, Freedom means it has factory installed lights.

Speed for a 2000 Series drive is 13 to 14 MPH.

I also attached the service manual.

Rim size is cosmetic, tire height determines the speed gain and torque loss of taller than stock (18") tires.

Series motors handle tire heights over about 20" better than SepEx drives, but SepeEx drives get quicker for less money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TXT-Freedom Specs.jpg (207.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg TXT-Fleet Specs.jpg (194.9 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf electric & precision drive system vehicles & fleet golf car, 2000,28565G01RS.pdf (17.99 MB, 0 views)
Old 03-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
thehill
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!

I guess it's just me.

With two people (driver/passenger) in the cart the Waze GPS was showing us going between 13-20 MPH up/down hills. Average of 14-17MPH on straight areas with no declines.

I guess that's good!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO