lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
Hedger
Gone Wild

Default Dcs/ PDS motor

Will my dcs motor AY4-4001 work in a PDS cart? I have a PDS that the motor whines real loud and am thinking I should replace the motor.
Hedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Dcs/ PDS motor

They use different field maps (which map the characteristics of the motor), so I would advise against it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A DCS motor does not have a speed sensor and a stock PDS controller won't let the cart go over about 2 MPH without a working speed sensor attached to it.

If you have an aftermarket controller like a DCX or XCT (with RPM limiting shut off), it will work, but the cart will be a bit slower and have i little more torque than it did with a PDS motor. Of course, the correct field map will have to be loaded.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
Hedger
Gone Wild

This motor does have a speed sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (160.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
Hedger
Gone Wild

Ok, help me out here. I have a motor that is real loud, at least I think it's the motor and not the rear end. Is there something I can do to quiet the motor or am I in the market for a different motor. I have the dcs motor. Do I try to fix, motor, buy another or use the dcs and buy control?
Old 03-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedger View Post
This motor does have a speed sensor.
DCS doesnt have a speed sensor.

I have a DCS running a DCX 500a controller, no speed sensor. The cart clocks about 21.5-22mph verified by Garmin GPS, with windshield down, one person txt cart with a back seat, 18inch tires
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Cheapest thing to do, if you have the skills, is to change the bearing ($6-
Next step up would be to have somebody else change the bearing and paint it $300. Or buy a new motor $4-500

Also note the noise may be coming from the input shaft and not the motor. Although my old PDS motor was starting to whine when I pulled it out.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
Hedger
Gone Wild

may look at changing the bearings. I usually realize I don't have the skills about half way through the the job. Don't guess there's a sticky on it?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #9
Hedger
Gone Wild

Last question on this. Can I put another motor in cart and do the 12 volt test on that motor to see if it's the input shaft or the motor? Seems that if the test ran quiet, it would have to be the motor? It currently whines loud at low speed even with wheels off the ground.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Sounds like you should just take the pan off the axle, drain the oil & have a look for metal. I bet it could use new oil anyway. It's a easy job. You could swap a motor on there to see a 12v test. That will give you a chance to see how badly neglected the input shaft/motor coupler spline interface is (and is a rubber bumper present).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO