lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
Tj4orange
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 86 motor & springs questions

Hey guys. Long time lurker. Decided to break down and do some upgrades to the cart.

I believe I have a 1986 marathon...

Looking to have Electrical Motor Products do a motor upgrade to get some more torque on the cart. I've kinda striped down the backside to get to the motor.

I'm kinda at a loss sorta where to start undoing next... I see the motor is attached to a big ol "part" hooked to the axel. I don't want to go pulling thing off that I shouldn't!

It looks to be three of four wires running to the motor but not sure which bolts to start cranking on.

--------

Also, I'm looking to beef up the rear end due to too many fattys (me being the biggest) ridding in this thing. I'd like to throw some hd rear leaf springs on there because... I don't know why but it seems like that's what I should do. All the pics I see of new hd springs seem to show three leafs. Looking at the existing ones I have, it looks to be three on there now. Any ideas or suggestions? Are these already hd or do they just look alike?

Any input, comments, suggestions, responses are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tj4orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Tj4orange
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 86 motor & springs questions

Nothing!?[emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Arrow Re: 86 motor & springs questions

Tj, I've done a grand total of one rebuild, so gotta have the disclaimer attached to anything I throw at you, but I'll give you my 2 cents (about the actual worth of it) so you've got something to ponder until the experts jump in.

I would start by finding the service manual for your cart. It may even be in the stickys at the top of this forum. These things aren't super complicated (taking them apart anyeay)

Take a bunch of photos, use labels, and take notes so you know what went where.

You've posted a pic of the motor, and it says it's a series? Post a pic of the battery compartment as well, so guys can ID the rest of your drive system.

Once it's clear exactly what you have, they'll need to know exactly what you want the cart to do.
How many people will ride on it?
What type of terrain? Hills? Sand, etc?
Lift? Bigger tires?
Speed goal?
You've said that you want to beef up the rear end, but the above information is needed too.

IIRC, at least on my 2001, there's 3 bolts that hold the motor onto the differential. If you remove the cables to the motor, make sure you use two wrenches, one to take off the nut and the other one to hold the stud from spinning off of the motor.

As far as your springs go, i do think the Hd ones typically have 3 leafs. if yours aren't giving you the support you think they should, they may be worn out.

Good luck, and keep posting. If you get a bit more specific about what you're after, you'll get plenty of responses.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Serial no. indicates 1987. https://shop.ezgo.com/my-vehicle/

You have a very unusual transaxle. I think they only used these for a very short period of time. Months maybe. I can't remember what the problem was. A labor strike maybe. This came up some years ago. Can't find those old posts now.
In any case this is a picture of your motor separated from the transaxle. It looks like 4 bolts going through case. I have no experience with it.
I would think EMP or any motor builder could refresh it.
Your cart is a resister model. Not solid state. It won't do well with performance upgrades, would likely become unreliable. It is, after all, 30 years old. There is a solid state conversion kit available.

Springs: I think the 3 leaf on yours were standard. I don't think they were "heavy duty". EZGO has several versions of heavy duty springs available. You'll have to check on compatibility with your cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MT208.jpg (37.5 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
Tj4orange
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for some of the responses.

I ordered a pair of HD rear leaf springs today. hopefully they will help. From the pic it is a five leaf set. Also got some new tires and rims.

Going to pull the motor in the morning and head over to EMP and see what we can do with it. I have been emailing back and forth and they have one motor that will work for me. More of a torque upgrade rather than speed which is what i need. The park we are at is 5 mph but we have some hills all around. Any more input is always appreciated!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

cartsunlimited has conversion kits that will transform your cart-comes with everything....scottyB can help with the specifics....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO