lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 1993 marathon barn find

My buddy has a 1993 electric marathon in his barn. he believes it has been sitting for about 10-12 years. overall body has some dings, tires are flat, batteries are there and hooked up. seats are dirty but not ripped up. I was debating buying it for a few things I need for my 1993 gas marathon but then I realized for $100 I could part it out or possibly even get it running.

I understand that i am probably going to need brand new batteries. I was wondering if there is any way to check the cart to see if it will work without spending 900 on batteries first? (dont want to get stuck with them)

Anything else I should check? any common problems? theres a very good chance that this thing was just parked and forgotten about but I can't be 100% sure.
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1993 marathon barn find

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
My buddy has a 1993 electric marathon in his barn. he believes it has been sitting for about 10-12 years. overall body has some dings, tires are flat, batteries are there and hooked up. seats are dirty but not ripped up. I was debating buying it for a few things I need for my 1993 gas marathon but then I realized for $100 I could part it out or possibly even get it running.

I understand that i am probably going to need brand new batteries. I was wondering if there is any way to check the cart to see if it will work without spending 900 on batteries first? (dont want to get stuck with them)

Anything else I should check? any common problems? theres a very good chance that this thing was just parked and forgotten about but I can't be 100% sure.
I just bought similar one for $125.My problem was the battery box was corroded and the motor was locked up, not worth fixing. However, I would still pay $125 all day long for the cart for the core value, charger, other parts. I still came out ahead.

You probably can raise the rear end, connect 12 volts to the motor terminals and see if the motor turns. You can google or someone here can tell you how to make the connections depending one whether it is series or Shunt wound (terminal labels will tell you that)

Not sure where in the world you are, but if you are anywhere near Central Alabama, you can buy 6 new powertron batteries for $475. If you just want batteries to test, offer your local dealer $100 and your 6 cores for 3 used 12 volts that will hold a charge. Test the cart and if it does not work, sell the 3 used cores for $45 and you are only out $55 and your time.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
I just bought similar one for $125.My problem was the battery box was corroded and the motor was locked up, not worth fixing. However, I would still pay $125 all day long for the cart for the core value, charger, other parts. I still came out ahead.

You probably can raise the rear end, connect 12 volts to the motor terminals and see if the motor turns. You can google or someone here can tell you how to make the connections depending one whether it is series or Shunt wound (terminal labels will tell you that)

Not sure where in the world you are, but if you are anywhere near Central Alabama, you can buy 6 new powertron batteries for $475. If you just want batteries to test, offer your local dealer $100 and your 6 cores for 3 used 12 volts that will hold a charge. Test the cart and if it does not work, sell the 3 used cores for $45 and you are only out $55 and your time.
how long do bargain batteries last? Im sure I have a few twelve volts laying around or I can pull them out of something around here to hook them up - my friend threw out the idea that we could possibly hook up 12vs to see if we could get it to work. I know nothing about electric carts. if the motor doesn't turn can it be rebuilt?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #4
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
how long do bargain batteries last? Im sure I have a few twelve volts laying around or I can pull them out of something around here to hook them up - my friend threw out the idea that we could possibly hook up 12vs to see if we could get it to work. I know nothing about electric carts. if the motor doesn't turn can it be rebuilt?
You should be able to turn the motor with a single 12 volt battery if you raise the wheels and nothing is binding.

Not sure what you were asking about in bargain Batteries, the powertron's I mentioned were new with 18 month warranty. The others I mentioned were just a low cost way to get 36 volts to test the cart and maybe use to demo the cart if you wanted to sell it

Motor can be rebuilt, but not cost effective to so. If it were me, and motor would not turn over, I would stop there and sell for parts unless the cart was in really good shape.

Think about it this way if the cart is PERFECT, you will still have $600 at a minimum in a 25 year old cart. Not a bad deal, but once you start buying parts, motors, tires, and other parts, at some point it does not make sense if you are only looking for a cart when you can get a 2007 model that runs with OK batteries for $1500.

However, there is still value in fixing this thing in that you can LEARN a lot about carts by doing that. Again, if you were near Central Al, I could show you where you could get some working batts and for $200 you could have a cool little cart you can play with and learn.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Show me some pictures of it
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #6
noslofivoh
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
You should be able to turn the motor with a single 12 volt battery if you raise the wheels and nothing is binding.

Not sure what you were asking about in bargain Batteries, the powertron's I mentioned were new with 18 month warranty. The others I mentioned were just a low cost way to get 36 volts to test the cart and maybe use to demo the cart if you wanted to sell it

Motor can be rebuilt, but not cost effective to so. If it were me, and motor would not turn over, I would stop there and sell for parts unless the cart was in really good shape.

Think about it this way if the cart is PERFECT, you will still have $600 at a minimum in a 25 year old cart. Not a bad deal, but once you start buying parts, motors, tires, and other parts, at some point it does not make sense if you are only looking for a cart when you can get a 2007 model that runs with OK batteries for $1500.
Where can you get an 07 cart for $1500? Around here that would be a $3000 cart. 20-25 year old carts still bring $2000+
noslofivoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #7
crash test dummy

motor test

WARNING you don't want to make a big spark anywhere near the battery.

note : use 2 wrenches on motor studs to keep them from spinning
Old 04-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can this be done with a SepEx motor also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JaxPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #9
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslofivoh View Post
Where can you get an 07 cart for $1500? Around here that would be a $3000 cart. 20-25 year old carts still bring $2000+
that was my thought... thats why i wanted to pick this one up.

and no pics yet. i'm slammed at work, havent been back over there but i'll get pics soon.

crash test dummy thanks for the info i believe i will try that first
Old 04-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxPilot View Post
Can this be done with a SepEx motor also?
No. The Field (or Stator) windings are higher impedance and cannot pass enough current to properly energize the Armature for a low voltage test. However, you CAN parallel the Field (or Stator) windings with the Armature and do the same low voltage test. This can be done on Series wound motors as well to give an apparent doubling of applied voltage. For example - running a 48 VDC Series motor from 24 VDC, or a 72 VDC Series motor from 36 VDC. It's not a free lunch, current doubles as well on Series motors. It's a racing trick.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO