lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
Coleocole
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Late 90s Series TXT - question around gearing

I have a late 90s txt series cart (don't know exact year because previous owner removed both the frame serial decal and dash tag). I have upgraded to an alltrax sr48500 controller, 400amp solenoid and hd fnr switch. I have a plum quick bandit motor, 5" in lift and 21" tires. 36volt system. Eventually will get 48v upgrade when time to buy new batteries.

I want more speed though. I have topped out at around 21-22 On flats but still very low (10-13) on hills in my town. With the added torque from the upgrades, would I benefit from rehearing to either 8:1 or 6:1 gears?

What kind of speed changes should I expect with either gearing set? I know there would be a loss of torque, but after upgrading the system I should be good there.

Thanks!
Coleocole is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Late 90s Series TXT - question around gearing

Anything you do mechanically to increase speed on flats will hurt you on hills. In general, speed and torque are inversely proportional.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleocole View Post
I have a late 90s txt series cart (don't know exact year because previous owner removed both the frame serial decal and dash tag). I have upgraded to an alltrax sr48500 controller, 400amp solenoid and hd fnr switch. I have a plum quick bandit motor, 5" in lift and 21" tires. 36volt system. Eventually will get 48v upgrade when time to buy new batteries.

I want more speed though. I have topped out at around 21-22 On flats but still very low (10-13) on hills in my town. With the added torque from the upgrades, would I benefit from rehearing to either 8:1 or 6:1 gears?

What kind of speed changes should I expect with either gearing set? I know there would be a loss of torque, but after upgrading the system I should be good there.

Thanks!

your stock rear end has a 12.44:1 differential in it.....with your current set up, and everything remains that same, like your motor rpm, NOW on flat ground you get 22 mph. if you switch gearing in the rear end this is what you would get speed wise. remember these are just mathematical calculations....the actual number might be a little less as it doesn't take into account other losses....like wind resistance. Keep in mind.....speeds like this are pretty shaky, especially on a lifted cart!

8:1.....34 mph
6:1.....45 mph
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
Coleocole
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
your stock rear end has a 12.44:1 differential in it.....with your current set up, and everything remains that same, like your motor rpm, NOW on flat ground you get 22 mph. if you switch gearing in the rear end this is what you would get speed wise. remember these are just mathematical calculations....the actual number might be a little less as it doesn't take into account other losses....like wind resistance. Keep in mind.....speeds like this are pretty shaky, especially on a lifted cart!

8:1.....34 mph
6:1.....45 mph
Thanks for the info! This was what I was looking for!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My Series TXT does 35 (at least - no straightaways in my neighborhood long enough to eke out any more speed but I think it's got a few left) with 20.5 inch tires, Jakes Long Travel Kit, D&D High Speed Motor, similar Controller, 48V conversion and 6:1 gears. Going to 6:1 gears hurt torque, but high amp controller and 48v conversion makes it a lot less noticeable. Wouldn't want this set up on really hilly terrain though.
benjylafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
Coleocole
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjylafond View Post
My Series TXT does 35 (at least - no straightaways in my neighborhood long enough to eke out any more speed but I think it's got a few left) with 20.5 inch tires, Jakes Long Travel Kit, D&D High Speed Motor, similar Controller, 48V conversion and 6:1 gears. Going to 6:1 gears hurt torque, but high amp controller and 48v conversion makes it a lot less noticeable. Wouldn't want this set up on really hilly terrain though.
It's more of a pavement pounder around town. 48v conversion coming later. There are some road hills but nothing off road. I may only go 8:1 to keep some torque. Highs 20s low 30s is all I need. Happen to have seen a writeup on replacing the gears? I've searched but nothing good

Old 05-24-2017, 10:38 PM   #7
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
It's more of a pavement pounder around town. 48v conversion coming later. There are some road hills but nothing off road. I may only go 8:1 to keep some torque. Highs 20s low 30s is all I need. Happen to have seen a writeup on replacing the gears? I've searched but nothing good

Did you talk with anybody at Plum Quick about getting another motor? They are making me a "Rattlesnake" motor for my "new to me" series Club Car DS that they say will give me great torque and 30 mph on 21 inch tires. My CC also has the same controller/solenoid/F&R setup you have. Motor is expensive, but you should be able to recoup almost 1/2 of the cost just by selling the Bandit motor and motors are a lot easier to swap out than gears - been there done that.
benjylafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #8
Coleocole
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have not. I may look into it. The only issue is reviewing their site it looks like they don't have anything for a series cart. Or I'm looking at it wrong

Old 05-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #9
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You just need to contact PlumQuick they can make just about anything you need.
If you want to sell the Bandit PM me !
I have a 91 marathon that Bandit would be great in

I don't want to hijack your thread so a PM is good if anyone tell me if a late 90s TXT is the same motor as my 91 Marathon ?
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:

With 21" tall tires, you have already lost 14.3% of stock torque where rubber meets road. Going to 8:1 gears will increase the torque loss to 44.9% and 6:1 ups it to 58.7%. In other words, your cart might have a 30+ MPH top speed, but it might take half an hour to get that and it wouldn't get there if there was a headwind.

Leaving the gears and tires as-is and going to 48V will up your top speed to about 29MPH while upping the torque by 33%, for a net gain of 19% over stock after torque loss from tire height is factored in.

If 29MPH isn't fast enough, get a motor that is moderately higher speed than stock while retaining about the same torque as stock.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO