lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2018, 11:59 PM   #1
outbackrob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Just dies, then lives! ...then dies, then lives!

Very low mileage, garage kept 1986 DS. Converted from negative key switch to positive key switch. Added a voltage reducer to better manage batteries. Everything seems to be working perfectly. My wife and I drove round the neighborhood for about 30 minutes doing about 11-13mph almost the whole time. Fun Fun Fun! Then I stopped at a stop sign. Hit the accelerator and....nothing. I could hear the clicks, but got no movement. Of course we got out and stared at the battery compartment like we were expecting it to say something. About 3 minutes later I turned the key, pressed the pedal and we were off to the races again. Let off the accelerator and hit it again, nothing. After another 20 minutes of testing, we THINK that it could be heat related? Nothing was too hot to touch and there was no smoke or smell of "heat". Found that if I never let all the way off the pedal, it keeps going. Let off the pedal to hit the brake (or not hit the brake) and it dies for a few moments. A couple of times when it first dies, I hit the pedal a bunch of times and it pops back to life with a BIG burst of speed.

I have all the wires tightened down to manufacturers specs. 5 of six batteries are a year old, 1 is a week old. Electricity does not seem to be a problem as the new battery meter reads full and the 12v side is showing 12.2 volts. Got plenty of juice.

Heat? But what exactly is the heat affecting?

Accelerator switch? But it works most of the time.

Gremlin? My bet!

I'm pretty new to Golf Carts. Perhaps this is a well know problem with a simple fix? It is the first time we have noticed this issue in the 3 months we have had it. I am hoping to have it running consistently for out 4th of July Parade..... I'm going to be in front of the horses so it just can't stop.

Any ideas? Things to check?

THANKS!

Rob
outbackrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
outbackrob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Just dies, then lives! ...then dies, then lives!

Solenoid?

FNR switch?

Not the MCOR because the 1986 doesn't have one?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is the 5 solenoid setup right?

Check the main solenoid, that is the first one on the drivers side with no resistor coils on top of it.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
outbackrob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
This is the 5 solenoid setup right?
Yes. 5 new solenoids about a year and a half ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Check the main solenoid, that is the first one on the drivers side with no resistor coils on top of it.
I'm a bit dense and a noob at this yet. How do I check it? Everything is tight and it is getting power. ...or seems to be getting power. I measured 38.4 volts on it.

Rob
Old 06-26-2018, 07:26 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Throw a large gauge jumper between the large terminals on the main solenoid. What that is going to do is to keep your high current circuit active at all times in that your key switch and initial accelerator switch will be bypassed. If you cart runs as it should then that jumped solenoid is bad. Obviously, you don't want to keep that solenoid jumped.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can also just move the cable on that Solenoid that goes to the motor to the other post on the Solenoid (where the copper bar is connected).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
outbackrob
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Got it. THANK YOU! I will try that this evening.

Rob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car