lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2018, 03:53 AM   #1
dean83814
Not Yet Wild

Default How can I tell If my OBC is bad?

On my 48 volt club car, I mashed the breaks down one night, the car died.
I put it in tow, hauled it to my shop & attempted to charge it. The charger kicked on, then off & never back on.
I checked all batteries, all 6 have 7.8-8.3 volts. Total volts has 46 as it sits.
I checked all fuses.
I cleaned all battery connections & replaced a bad looking one.
The lights come on but the reverse buzzer does not.
I attempted to reset the OBC i have read in other forums with no luck
I hated to buy a $400 OBC & that was not the problem.
dean83814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #2
sandbuggy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: How can I tell If my OBC is bad?

If you end up needing an obc, I just removed one from my 2013 Precedent in course of lithium battery conversion. No cut wires and in perfect working order. Needless to say, hope you don't need, cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
sandbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Something is wrong with your math. Even if all of your batteries were reading 7.8v you would read 46.6v's. Check them again. You may just have a bad battery. If you do find your OBC is bad consider installing a DPI Accusense Charger.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Read this http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...eshooting.html and see what you have....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:11 AM   #5
dean83814
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys, I'll try these things. Last time my charger wouldnt pick up to start charging, it was a bad battery. This time I tried changing out my weakest battery (7.6v) with a new battery that had 8.3 volts. But the charger still didn't start charging. this is why i was leaning toward the OBC. Just hard for me to believe it just went out, just like that from locking up the breaks. And the reverse buzzer not comming on is odd as well
Old 07-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Dean, what year is your cart?

And since you said "Tow" it must be a Sepex cart, but if the reverse buzzer quit I am concerned.....
Old 07-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

One way to test (and it's a dirty test, not a guarantee) is plug the charger in but leave the AC cord disconnected from the outlet. In a few seconds the red battery warning lamp on the dash should be flashing on and off.

Put the car in TOW, disconnect charger, put it in RUN, then key on, hit gas. Warning light should light for a few seconds and then go out. If those happen, the OBC should be good. You could have a failing relay inside the charger itself.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:36 PM   #8
dean83814
Not Yet Wild

My cart is a 09' Precedent ....Ok, so I've changed both the main brain box ( the grey box that has all 3 main wires hooked to it) & the OBC. I've found one dead battery, replaced the battery...my reverse buzzer is back to normal now & the cart runs. But now when I plug my charger in & the cart is in nuteral, run, & the key off the reverse buzzer is alarming (on/off) fast sounding.
my cart is showing 45.7 volts across it as it sits with it unplugged. When i plug it in & the charger kicks on, with the reverse alarm going, my volt meter is reading 65 volts across it.
I can put the cart in tow, & plug the charger in without the reverse alarm comming on but it also seems as if the charger is not charging it...I also tried exact chargers that work on other carts on mine & vice versa with the same result......Stumpped
Old 07-26-2018, 11:52 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Not sure what the "main brain box (the grey box that has all 3 main wires hooked to it)" is.... Are you talking about the Controller? Where the motor and solenoid cables go??
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car