lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #11
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: TahoeDawgZ71/scottyb - Please read and comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
So my next question would be... Do we really not need the precharge resistor?
Yes it is needed. And after re-reading the title of this thread, I should have stayed out of this discussion among pros. Sorry guys.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2018, 11:29 PM   #12
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Yes it is needed. And after re-reading the title of this thread, I should have stayed out of this discussion among pros. Sorry guys.
SEE .. that's why i said nothin

hey moon lets bow out quietly and let Dave tell us what we missed
Old 07-11-2018, 11:56 PM   #13
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Dang it Crash. You know I resemble that in too many ways.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:35 AM   #14
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Dang it Crash. You know I resemble that in too many ways.
you dress up in German underwear ?

Old 07-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #15
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
So my next question would be... Do we really not need the precharge resistor?
The pre-charge resistor, unlike the diode, is not needed on the XCT and ONLY because it is handled for the controller thru the Tow/Run switch. If it did not have that capability, then it would be required.

A Regen diode IS needed between the large posts as protection from regen braking and simultaneous power loss.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
The pre-charge resistor, unlike the diode, is not needed on the XCT and ONLY because it is handled for the controller thru the Tow/Run switch. If it did not have that capability, then it would be required.

A Regen diode IS needed between the large posts as protection from regen braking and simultaneous power loss.
The "Rege Diode" use in a Club Car was another debacle by Altrax, first was not needed even after we questioned based on the reason given for being required in an EzGo, then all suddenly, "yeah, you need it in a club Car also".

BGW with 150,000 members many using electric carts and a tremendous presence in google searches can be a big influence in Controller purchase decisions.

It would make business sense for Altrax to maintain an official "technical bulletin" presence, not support related, in BGW so members would receive first hand, non-interpreted information directly from them.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #17
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Good point Sergio!

My Operators Manual (dated 2015) that came with my XCT controller I purchased late in 2016 has wiring diagrams for Club Car IQ, multiple EZ-GO models and a couple of Yamaha's. All the EZ-GO diagrams show the Regen diode, the Club Car and Yamaha diagrams do not show it.

The Alltrax diagram Nole posted is Rev G showing the regen diode for club car IQ. For the many BGW members running an XCT controller without the regen diode, what are the risk and should we park these carts until the diode is installed?

BTW: my 2015 diagrams are (Rev C). Wonder what else changed with Rev's D,E,&F ?

Last edited by Hunter450; 07-12-2018 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: added wording
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

My understand of the circumstances that can cause the issue the Regen Diode prevents is more likely to occur in an EzGo since switching directions cuts the power to the key switch (and Solenoid).

It is certainly very possible to switch directions without the cart being completely stopped which means Regen may be active.

The directional FNR on a Club Car works smarter than that and only sends a signal to the controller.

Nothing prevents you from turning the key switch OFF in a Club Car while the cart is in Regen, so however unlikely the scenario and residual voltages needed for the problem to even occur, it is a cheap $5 insurance.

I installed my XCT 500 last year so I am also one of those members without the Regen Diode installed and while I am not too concerned about it, I will install one next time I have to work or upgrade my Precedent.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #19
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
-snip-
It would make business sense for Altrax to maintain an official "technical bulletin" presence, not support related, in BGW so members would receive first hand, non-interpreted information directly from them.
I agree wholeheartedly and since we are the biggest GC forum out there you would think they would have a person assigned to post/review from time2time. You find them on most major forums....
Old 07-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #20
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
-snip-
The Alltrax diagram Nole posted is Rev G showing the regen diode for club car IQ. For the many BGW members running an XCT controller without the regen diode, what are the risk and should we park these carts until the diode is installed?
I went back to any I did several months ago and retrofitted them as once I heard of the "possible" need, I thought back to all those times my little one hit the rocker switch as we were out for an evening ride and in a panic, I always flipped with key switch off until we stopped. Knowing that could happen to someone else, I wanted to add that level of protection!

Just a simple 6A6 diode (6 amp 660 volt) and place the striped end towards the post with the main pack positive cable attached.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car