lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2018, 01:35 AM   #11
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: There is so much I don’t know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalcats View Post
Understood, I appreciate the lesson. Like I said I wake up every day and realize there is so much I don’t know and I love to learn.
Would it be an easy switch ( yes I like puns) to put a reducer in now?
Yes, relatively easy if you don't mind doing some wiring.

First of all, how many batteries do you have? Is it 6x8V or 4x12V? I'm going to assume for the rest of this that you have 6x8V.

Test the voltage at one of the accessories (say a light). If it is connected without a reducer then the voltage will be either 8V (1 battery) or 16V (two batteries). If that voltage is 12V then you must have a reducer already (unless your cart is 4x12V in which case it could be one battery).

Assuming you don't have a reducer already and you want to add one then I suggest you speak with David at Revolution Golf Cars or Scotty at Carts Unlimited and they will recommend the best reducer for your cart which will probably just plug into your original wiring loom. You can buy cheap ones from eBay but they are more risky, won't plug in easily and don't come with support from David or Scotty.

Basically the reducer is connected to the whole battery pack (48V) then all accessories are connected to the reducer (think of the reducer as being a 12V battery to which all the accessories are connected). The diagram shows the basic layout. A good reducer will have five wires (+ and - 48V, + and - 12V and a trigger wire). The trigger wire energises the reducer when the key is turned on so when the key is off so is the reducer and all the accessories so they can't drain the batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basic reducer wiring.jpg (54.3 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #12
Tropicalcats
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
Yes, relatively easy if you don't mind doing some wiring.

First of all, how many batteries do you have? Is it 6x8V or 4x12V? I'm going to assume for the rest of this that you have 6x8V.

Test the voltage at one of the accessories (say a light). If it is connected without a reducer then the voltage will be either 8V (1 battery) or 16V (two batteries). If that voltage is 12V then you must have a reducer already (unless your cart is 4x12V in which case it could be one battery).

Assuming you don't have a reducer already and you want to add one then I suggest you speak with David at Revolution Golf Cars or Scotty at Carts Unlimited and they will recommend the best reducer for your cart which will probably just plug into your original wiring loom. You can buy cheap ones from eBay but they are more risky, won't plug in easily and don't come with support from David or Scotty.

Basically the reducer is connected to the whole battery pack (48V) then all accessories are connected to the reducer (think of the reducer as being a 12V battery to which all the accessories are connected). The diagram shows the basic layout. A good reducer will have five wires (+ and - 48V, + and - 12V and a trigger wire). The trigger wire energises the reducer when the key is turned on so when the key is off so is the reducer and all the accessories so they can't drain the batteries.
It is the 6x8
And I have this turn signal set up on the column. It says Everlasting on it.

Another question. What kind of grease do I use on the front end fittings? An all purpose?

Tropicalcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:30 PM   #13
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

OK. One thing at a time here Tropical. Assuming your accessories are 12V. You already have a reducer.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #14
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
OK. One thing at a time here Tropical. Assuming your accessories are 12V. You already have a reducer.
Probably but not necessarily. TropicalCats needs to test the voltage at an accessory to be sure. It is still possible (though unlikely) that the accessories are running off two batteries at 16V.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #15
Tropicalcats
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Probably but not necessarily. TropicalCats needs to test the voltage at an accessory to be sure. It is still possible (though unlikely) that the accessories are running off two batteries at 16V.
Newbie Alert

How do I test ?
Tropicalcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #16
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

with a multi meter and if your not sure how to use one I added a complete pdf

Is now open

Click Swan's Pick'em
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Everything Electrical.pdf (4.32 MB, 0 views)
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #17
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
That is possible depending on what they are. From what I see I doubt it.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #18
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

There is something tapped into the neg. post of the battery next to the pack + battery. Can't really see pack neg. Either he is running 16v. or has a 16-12v reducer unless there is something at pack - I can't see.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:08 PM   #19
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
That is possible depending on what they are. From what I see I doubt it.
I agree it is most unlikely that it is anything but 12V.

Someone with a DS, where was the usual place for a reducer to be mounted?
Old 09-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #20
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
I agree it is most unlikely that it is anything but 12V.

Someone with a DS, where was the usual place for a reducer to be mounted?
With 4x12's on the back rail behind the 2 middle batteries or if a small one, in the open area between battery #1 & #2. The fit all place for any battery configuration is under the front cowl on the frame crossover above the suspension. It is just inches from the key switch.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car