lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
Hit it like a champ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Upper brush guard or roll cage

I was watching YouTube golf cart crashes and I didn’t realize that the cage was so unsturdy. now i know why they call it a upper brush guard. So i was thinking how can I reinforce the cage to make it a stronger. Has anyone seen done this before. I see that they make a cage for it but then I would need a different roof and windshield. I really don’t feel like spending the money for all that. I searched the forum and the web and found nothing. It really surprised me to see that the cage at the top doesn’t connect. Okay anyway any ideas would be appreciated.
Hit it like a champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
Hit it like a champ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Upper brush guard or roll cage

If I can find some thicker material the same size I could easily build this cage and make a few cross bars in there to sturdy it up. My only issue is that I am not sure what it hooks to under the body and the frame is aluminum so I assume it’s bolted to that.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:58 AM   #3
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Maybe you can post a photo of the upper cage you are talking about.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:21 AM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
Maybe you can post a photo of the upper cage you are talking about.
It appears he's talking about the roof struts.
Some have done them themselves and made more of a roll cage out of round steel tube The stock set up is only intended to hold the roof up. Remember: it's a golf cart. It's original design was to cruise around a golf course at 11 or 12 mph with 2 people, a few clubs and maybe a small cooler. Any thing we do to them beyond that is largely "on us".
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:08 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
It appears he's talking about the roof struts.
Some have done them themselves and made more of a roll cage out of round steel tube The stock set up is only intended to hold the roof up. Remember: it's a golf cart. It's original design was to cruise around a golf course at 11 or 12 mph with 2 people, a few clubs and maybe a small cooler. Any thing we do to them beyond that is largely "on us".
Exactly. And if you truly want a roll Over Protection System (ROPS) like on a tractor, it will need to be a solid system coming off one side of the frame and running up and across and then down to the other. If you installed "X" braces in front and back of your canopy (roof strut) system you have now, it would help for wind loading and minimal side impact, but not prevent a crush point in an rollover event.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Second what Nole and meimk said. It's a golf cart. Not a side by side or anything meant for anything extreme. If you want any protection from rollover you'll need to scrap it and build your own out of DOM or something.

The club car roof struts are aluminum. Theres no amount if reinforcing that will offer any type of rollover protection.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It's not an ROPS. It's a sun shade. It's meant to survive going around a golf course at 14mph.
The roof struts on a Precedent are steel, you can add larger tubing or cross bars to strengthen those.
You'll have to do far more work to the aluminum frame of the cart where they attach.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
Hit it like a champ
Gone Wild

Club Car

I can’t bend tube but i can cut and bend square tube. If i can get the front to come into the cab and across the floor. I could tie into the frame there. The back has one of those extra seats on it. I think i could tie into that somehow. Not sure about this aluminum frame thing i think i should have went with a cart with a steel frame for strength. I was concerned about rust at first but it never even seen salt in fact it rarely gets wet. I know when i worked a the welding shop people brought in the aluminum trailers all the time to be rewelded they had stress fractures all over them from the jarring of pot holes on the road. I am not concerned about rolling it over my self its the kids i am worried about especially going down a steep hill with the way the brakes lock. It might be easier to govern it. I read here somewhere i can do this have different modes for different drivers without them knowing it. Thanks for the replies. Jerry
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car