lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
PlumbersWife
Not Yet Wild

Default Gonna try & replace the solenoid...is that the right move?

I'm gonna be honest, I'm one of those women who'd prefer not to ruin a good manicure, and I have no idea what I'm doing. But I spent two years in an engineering program before changing my major and with a busy husband I'm just determined with a few youtube videos I can handle this one.

So I have tried to trouble shoot why our old as dirt but typically reliable club car suddenly died in the middle of the pasture the other day with a full charge. Batteries are confirmed fully charged. Cart is getting 36V from the solenoid (tested with voltmeter on small ports, pedal engaged). BUT when I try to test the resistance from the solenoid with all wires removed the meter still has the 1 in the far left position as if there is infinite resistance. This is with the key off and cart in neutral when I was expecting to get a zero reading. If I touch the probes together I get a zero reading on the meter, so I believe the meter is working properly.

I have also tried getting a reading with the cart in the on position, forward gear, pedal engaged with the same result. All wires are disconnected and I'm touching the probes to the large ports on the solenoid.

Is it safe to assume the solenoid is bad?
PlumbersWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gonna try & replace the solenoid...is that the right move?

With the precharge resistor disconnected on one end. You should have 36v (+) on one big terminal. When you try to go and there is then 36v between the 2 small terminals, and at that point the solenoid should click (engage). If it doesn't click either there is not 36v between the 2 small posts or the solenoid is dead. When the solenoid clicks there should be 36v at both big terminals ( with the resistor removed)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If you do get the 36v between the 2 small posts and it does not close, try tapping it with the but of a hammer handle or large screwdriver handle. As they get old, the bridge (internally) will sometimes bind up.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
If you do get the 36v between the 2 small posts and it does not close, try tapping it with the but of a hammer handle or large screwdriver handle. As they get old, the bridge (internally) will sometimes bind up.
In which case it still needs replacing
Old 05-03-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
In which case it still needs replacing
You are correct - Good Job!

But at least she can get it back from the pasture if it does work and have use of it until she gets another. Or, she may be like some of us and opens it up and cleans it up and it works flawlessly thereafter..... She sounds pretty bright from her background.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your right sorry I posted such nonsense. Not many girls I know do manicures and engine rebuilding. Must be a deep south thing
Old 05-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Your right sorry I posted such nonsense. Not many girls I know do manicures and engine rebuilding. Must be a deep south thing
Multitasking!
Old 05-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
PlumbersWife
Not Yet Wild

Husband pushed it into the garage for me. Luckily it was not far from the house, but he did have it loaded up with fence posts he had to carry by on his back to their intended destination. Our place is only a few acres so no huge disaster there.

I did get 36V on the small terminals. Did not try the hammer banging trick. Going to Vegas Thursday. About to have a fresh manicure for that. This project may have to wait until after that. Not going to have dirty fingernails at the black jack tables.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #9
PlumbersWife
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I'm a Texas girl, so you're not too far off. ;)
Old 05-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbersWife View Post
-snip-
Not going to have dirty fingernails at the black jack tables.
Can't have that I am sure...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car