lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
jlscjs
Not Yet Wild

Default Disabling OBC 2002 Club Car DS

I have been told that the Schuaer charger will not work if the OBC is still working that it will only charge up to around 45-46 volts max and never the higher voltage that a PowerDrive does, up to mid 50's volts. So would taking the black wire and gray wire from the charging receptacle off and connecting them directly to the neg post of the last battery in the bank allow my Schuaer charger to charge more than 46 and possibly go to mid 50's on voltage?
jlscjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
swm63
Gone Wild

Default Re: Disabling OBC 2002 Club Car DS

There is a detailed explanation in the stickies at the beginning of this section.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
jlscjs
Not Yet Wild

I've read through the list on sticky and I cannot find any reference to my question. Most of them talk about blue, red , white wires. I only have a black and a gray, the black coming off of the fuse with the glass window, and the gray coming from the charging receptacle, both of which runs thru a gray wiring harness. The mechanic at the cart shop told me just to remove both of these, route them to the -neg on the last battery in the pack and I will have bypassed the obc. This is all new to me so before i do anything drastic I'm trying to get some answers. thanks
Old 07-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The Blue Red and White are wires on the OBC that may need to be altered to make sure the OBC does not put the controller into lockout.

Basically, yes, to get your charger to work, you need to bypass the OBC. Your charger is trying to charge through the OBC, and it can't do that because the OBC is not designed to be used with that type of charger.

To use your charger you will need to connect only the Black wire from the Charge receptacle to the battery pack negative, or to the B- terminal on the controller. That can be done at the OBC by clipping the two black 10ga wires that go into the OBC housing and connecting them together with a butt crimp connector.
The other wiring that will need to be done is to connect the White wire and the Light blue wire together at the OBC 6 pin plug. This provides a 48V input to the controller, and prevents the OBC from putting the controller in lockout, which would disable the cart.

IMO, I think you would be better off to send that charger back and get a Lester Summit2, or get a Yewy 1200 smart charger that are designed specifically for golf carts. The Schauer charger is more of a generic charger, and is not going to get you the best lifespan or performance from your batteries.
You also will have no charge lockout with the Schauer. So it will be possible to drive the cart away with the charger still connected. You'll need to make sure the charger is unplugged before getting on the cart.
The Lester Summit 2 offers a lockout control option, which interfaces with the carts controller and will prevent the cart being driven while the charger is plugged in.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
jlscjs
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The Blue Red and White are wires on the OBC that may need to be altered to make sure the OBC does not put the controller into lockout.

Basically, yes, to get your charger to work, you need to bypass the OBC. Your charger is trying to charge through the OBC, and it can't do that because the OBC is not designed to be used with that type of charger.

To use your charger you will need to connect only the Black wire from the Charge receptacle to the battery pack negative, or to the B- terminal on the controller. That can be done at the OBC by clipping the two black 10ga wires that go into the OBC housing and connecting them together with a butt crimp connector.
The other wiring that will need to be done is to connect the White wire and the Light blue wire together at the OBC 6 pin plug. This provides a 48V input to the controller, and prevents the OBC from putting the controller in lockout, which would disable the cart.

IMO, I think you would be better off to send that charger back and get a Lester Summit2, or get a Yewy 1200 smart charger that are designed specifically for golf carts. The Schauer charger is more of a generic charger, and is not going to get you the best lifespan or performance from your batteries.
You also will have no charge lockout with the Schauer. So it will be possible to drive the cart away with the charger still connected. You'll need to make sure the charger is unplugged before getting on the cart.
The Lester Summit 2 offers a lockout control option, which interfaces with the carts controller and will prevent the cart being driven while the charger is plugged in.
Thanks for the info, the charger I have is a Schuaer which came with the cart 2yrs ago, I recently put a whole new bank of batteries and I guess the only reason I know they are not charging all the way is because I wanted to keep an eye on them and I use my meter all the time. Up until now I just charged it and never paid any attention to what the total voltage was. The Schauer will charge it just not to the potential it should be, so now I have to decide to keep using it or fork over the money for a charger that is made for the cart.

Last edited by jlscjs; 07-16-2019 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: wording
Old 07-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ok, for some reason I thought you had just purchased this charger.

Bypass the OBC as detailed above, and your charger should be able to charge the batteries to the proper voltage. It may not be ideal, but it should be much much better than what it’s currently doing.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car