lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2019, 06:39 PM   #11
Smokey046
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage reducer problem

Ok, it is officially a mystery now. Here is what I have completed so far:

1. I isolated the reducer as only thing connected to the pack and discovered that the reducer is bad. It did not blow the fuse, but there was no voltage coming out of the reducer at all. I have ordered a replacement and completely removed reducer wiring from the equation.

Now for the mystery...

2. I checked the entire cart for any intentional grounds, there were none other than the two up front for the switches. I removed them and grounded them back to the fuse block.

3. I ran back ALL wires not inside the plastic conduit for frays for unintentional grounds, and found none.

4. I replaced solenoid and cleaned all connectors. I cleaned underneath solenoid before bolting down. Checked frame voltage, still had full pack voltage to frame.

5. I disconnected the controller, but left all groups of wires attached. (B+ together, B- together etc). Checked for frame voltage, still had full pack voltage to frame.

6. I disconnected power to motor (A1) and secured cable. Checked for frame voltage, still had full pack voltage to frame.

7. Prior to all this I cleaned the entire cart frame and hand wiped with degreaser to make sure surface material was not conducting. Dried thoroughly before testing.

8. Hand cleaned every battery top (even though brand new) as well.

I am completely at a loss as to where the frame voltage is coming from?! I have not opened up the potentiometer black case yet. I believe I have eliminated the controller, motor and solenoid as the source. I am baffled at this point.

Any suggestions?
Smokey046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #12
Smokey046
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

One other thing that may be worth mentioning. Once I disconnect the pack + and then the pack -, I tested the frame voltage from the frame to the negative cable coming from the OBC. It gave a declining reading at 42v and continued to drop. Figured it was discharging internally, but wasn’t sure if it was relevant or not.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:49 AM   #13
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you can wait a couple of days then NoleFan4Ever might be able to help when he gets back from holidays. Otherwise Sergio or one of the others with good cart knowledge might chime in.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What type lights do you have and how are they mounted to the cart?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:31 PM   #15
Smokey046
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have the LED Deluxe light kit - but they were disconnected and not in the mix so to speak. I finally tracked down the issue.

After disconnecting every wire, checking continuity and tracing wire, I was able to figure out the common denominator was the motor. I then checked continuity with A1 & S1 with the frame and there was a path. I then reconnected everything, leaving the motor disconnected from A1 & S2 and isolated the wires and no more frame voltage.

So the motor is the source. Not what I wanted to find out, but at least I know.
Thanks to ALL for the help, it is much appreciated.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #16
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Motors with excessive carbon buildup in them can cause voltage leaks to the case.
There also could be a brush wire touching the case somewhere.
Are you going to pull the motor and clean it out?
If all goes well and it comes off the rear end in one piece and don't drop it on you (about 50lbs)
then you should be able to clean and inspect it on a workbench.
If it's not too worn you may just need the cleanup.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #17
Smokey046
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I got the motor off and it was very dirty. After cleaning it the windings were black, and I wasn’t sure if they were painted or what. Took it to a local electric motor shop, they said they were burnt and needed replaced. I had the older style club car motor where they are connected to the casing, so the whole casing needs replaced. He suggested I just buy a new motor. Have one on the way. I will be plenty experienced by the time this cart is complete!
Old 08-10-2019, 01:32 AM   #18
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey046 View Post
I got the motor off and it was very dirty. After cleaning it the windings were black, and I wasn’t sure if they were painted or what. Took it to a local electric motor shop, they said they were burnt and needed replaced. I had the older style club car motor where they are connected to the casing, so the whole casing needs replaced. He suggested I just buy a new motor. Have one on the way. I will be plenty experienced by the time this cart is complete!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #19
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Good choice. Some make it some don't...
Are you staying with stock controller as you might be limited on motor specs.
If you upgrade motor with a matched controller you can lave lot's of fun!
Lots of choices, depending on what you want to do with your cart.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car