lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Default Question: Convert from 36v to 42v, ezgo PDS 2007

My question is whether or not I can add a battery (6v) to bring the cart voltage to 42v from 36 without any problems? Will my controller and motor handle it?

Thanks in advance
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Question: Convert from 36v to 42v, ezgo PDS 2007

Anyone? I can't be the only one to ask this question. I did do a search but found nothing.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Stock Pds controller likely will fry. Stock charger can't do 42v. Stock motor will be happy.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Some of the Western brand carts, which are EZGO carts under fancy bodies, run at 42V and some of them were based on PDS carts, but I'm not 100% sure if a completely stock PDS controller was used.

The stock PDS controller goes into a High Battery Voltage error when the battery pack voltage exceeds 48V, but the reduced regen braking is all that appears to happen. (See 2-2 error code on attached PDS label) 100% Soc for a 42V pack is less than 48V, but the max on-charge voltage goes over 50V, so the only time it would come into play is for a couple hours or so after the charger turns off

The 36V solenoid probably wouldn't work, but some creative wiring can feed 36V to the control circuits and 42V to the high current portions of the controller that feeds the motor.

Of course a 42V battery charger will be needed.

In other words, it can probably be done, but the question is why?

The stock PDS controller (Curtis 1206MX) RPM limits the motor to about 4400RPM, no matter what the battery pack voltage is, so the speed is the same with a 42V battery pack as it is with a 36V battery pack. However, there would be better acceleration from a standstill and not as much slowing on inclines.

Western probably did it because the bodies they installed are heavier that the body they took off and the wanted to match or surpass the acceleration and hill climbing speeds of a stock PDS. Top speed stayed the same.

-----------
If you want more speed, put an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS (or larger) in the cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the stock controller limited the rpm of the motor.
I was looking at ScottyB's website where it appears that the controllers he sells will do a 42V system but it's a $400 outlay and if I went that route I would want to go with a 48v pack (but my 6v batteries are <2 years old so not now)...
I can tell you that I very much regret not finding a gasser back when I bought this cart in 2011ish.....
Old 08-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by todo_brane_ded View Post
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the stock controller limited the rpm of the motor.
I was looking at ScottyB's website where it appears that the controllers he sells will do a 42V system but it's a $400 outlay and if I went that route I would want to go with a 48v pack (but my 6v batteries are <2 years old so not now)...
I can tell you that I very much regret not finding a gasser back when I bought this cart in 2011ish.....
Fwiw, I upgraded my 2008 PDS cart several years ago and it sure made it a much stronger cart. I was already buying new batteries at the time, so I bought a new controller and solenoid that Scotty sells that will run on 42 or 48. It doesn't really matter, as the cart runs 25 mph with plenty of torque at 42 volts, and I see no reason for me to ever take it to 48.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:42 PM   #7
western.golf
Getting Wild

Western probably did it because the bodies they installed are heavier that the body they took off
western.golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:48 PM   #8
western.golf
Getting Wild

-------
Do you know if the old Western Body can be removed and an Ezgo body be put back on? I'm not sure if it would match up to the TXT frame or if the frame was modified. I noticed the back end of the Western 400 has the additional seat with foot plateform integrated into the fiberglass. I'm assuming there is a frame supporting this foot rest.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:56 PM   #9
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by western.golf View Post
-------
Do you know if the old Western Body can be removed and an Ezgo body be put back on? I'm not sure if it would match up to the TXT frame or if the frame was modified. I noticed the back end of the Western 400 has the additional seat with foot plateform integrated into the fiberglass. I'm assuming there is a frame supporting this foot rest.
This thread is from 2019.....The OP of this thread has not been seen on this forum since 2019....
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 04:42 PM   #10
western.golf
Getting Wild

Yeah I see, thought it was worth a shot!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO