lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #1
larnpat
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart only goes if I ground the solenoid post with the blue wire

I have replaced nearly everything on the 36 volt ezgo cart and nothing still ran until I grounded the post with the blue wire (-). It runs now but slowly.
Where does the input for the blue wire come from? What did I do wrong?
larnpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart only goes if I ground the solenoid post with the blue wire

Is this a pds? Look in the stickies above for a link to identifying the drive type of the cart. Also, what have you replaced? Did the cart run before you started replacing stuff?

You need Johnnieb, but if the cart is a pds, I think the blue wire gets - from the controller.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
larnpat
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart only goes if I ground the solenoid post with the blue wire

I have a 2007 TXT PDS 36 volt cart. I have installed all new batteries, a new D&D motor, adapter for speed sensor, new curtis controller, new solenoid, checked all wires for continuity. It still would not click the solenoid. If a run a ground wire for the post with the blue wire to ground, the cart will run but a slow speed. The controller has the torque chip not high speed.

The diagnostic gives 3-2 signal still. I have changed the inductive sleeve, and switched out the F/R switch with no benefit.

I checked the voltages on plugs as suggested in another forum and got the right voltages. I cleaned each battery connection thoroughly.

What can be wrong now?
Old 05-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #4
larnpat
Not Yet Wild

It is a 2007 txt pds. It was not running. Diagnostics said 3-2 so replaced solenoid-nothing. Checked motor and nothing so replaced with D&D motor. Old one had shorted out the brushes and real bad inside. Needed adapter as new motor had internal speed sensor. Replaced that and still nothing. Ordered new controller,inductive sleeve, micro switch and F/W switch just in case. Checked wiring layout, cleaned battery cable ends, but only runs with a ground wire from post with blue wire to ground. Seems slow like in the limp mode.

Sorry I did not find this reply until I started a new thread.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
biphase
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by larnpat View Post
It is a 2007 txt pds. It was not running. Diagnostics said 3-2 so replaced solenoid-nothing. Checked motor and nothing so replaced with D&D motor. Old one had shorted out the brushes and real bad inside. Needed adapter as new motor had internal speed sensor. Replaced that and still nothing. Ordered new controller,inductive sleeve, micro switch and F/W switch just in case. Checked wiring layout, cleaned battery cable ends, but only runs with a ground wire from post with blue wire to ground. Seems slow like in the limp mode.

Sorry I did not find this reply until I started a new thread.
If this cart is a 48v TXT, it will have the Curtis 1206HB controller. Inside that controller, there is a transistor responsible for grounding that blue wire at the proper time. That transistor and a 0.1 ohm current-sensing resistor are common failure items. If you supply the ground externally, the cart will run in limp mode because the controller is smart enough to realize that the solenoid is engaged before the controller tells it to engage. It thinks the solenoid is welded, therefore it reverts to limp mode.

If the cart a 36v PDS, similar reasoning applies except there is no current-sensing resistor, only a failed driver transistor.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Cart only goes if I ground the solenoid post with the blue wire

The blue wire is supplied from controller. As to why it's not giving the right input I have no idea. Have you took the connector loose and made sure the blue wire pin is installed good? These connectors get hot and will let the pins move so check that first if that's not it then you can run with the extra ground.

Have you read this post. It talks about slow moving PDS cart.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=116579
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pds36v.jpg (115.0 KB, 0 views)
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is it a new Curtis control or rebuilt? Usually when there is no negative at the solenoid it's because the controller has failed. Is the pedal micro switch working properly?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:30 PM   #8
larnpat
Not Yet Wild

I had the plug out while checking the voltages and it looked good but will check again. Otherwise it sounds like the suggestion is to replace the controller.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:15 AM   #9
larnpat
Not Yet Wild

I thought it was a new Curtis controller. I am getting voltage through the micto switch and also check continuity in the wires. Sounding like another new controller is likely.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by larnpat View Post
I thought it was a new Curtis controller. I am getting voltage through the micto switch and also check continuity in the wires. Sounding like another new controller is likely.
Consider an Alltrax controller. Much better controller and will have a 2 year warranty.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO