lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default I think I have a motor brake issue on an RXV

My niece was riding our 2012 RXV for close to 4 hours over three days in trails/grass/sand, and I'm sure she was riding the brake. I was on the ride for the last trip and we smelled something burning but after stopping, it went away. We then drove it back to the garage and it sat for a few hours.

When we tried to get it out of the garage, it went forward for 30 feet then came to an abrupt stop with a crunch, as if she ran over a bike or a kid's battery-operated car. After that it wouldn't move and the tow switch wouldn't disengage the brake. I was able to get it back into the garage by reversing the wires and releasing the brake.

After this happened, one of my daughters said that they heard that same noise a few times while driving it but it didn't stop on them.

Due to the smell and the switch not disengaging the brake, does that sound like a brake failure? It still turns on and does that jolt when it powers and when toggling the two/run switch.

If I need a new brake, do you recommend one? I assume we need to go with a more heavy-duty brake.
Biaviian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: I think I have a motor brake issue on an RXV

If it does turn out to be the motor brake, there are many discussions on BGW that advise against the non-OEM heavy duty motor brake.

My understanding is that those draw more current and that is bad for the controller. Most advise to stick with EZ GO original.
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevota Guy View Post
If it does turn out to be the motor brake, there are many discussions on BGW that advise against the non-OEM heavy duty motor brake.

My understanding is that those draw more current and that is bad for the controller. Most advise to stick with EZ GO original.
I did see a few posts advising to stay with OEM. However, I was also advised to go with a more heavy-duty brake due to the larger tires. Maybe that recommendation wasn't a good one.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I could be wrong, but I believe the motor brake is a "parking brake" that is either on or off. It also functions as a panic brake if the pedal is pressed to the floor in an emergency.

The braking you feel when normal driving is not the motor brake at all, rather the motor is used as a "generator" which slows the cart.

If one was to indeed ride the brake while still having the accelerator pressed, I'm not sure how the controller handles that condition.

If my understanding is wrong, please someone correct me.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Chevota is correct. All braking on an RXV is done by the motor which can and does bring the cart to a complete stop and hold it there until the parking brake engages automatically. The parking brake is on the end of the motor and is mechanical and fail safes to engaged. It is electrically disengaged.
Other than parking, the only time the brake will engage is if the brake pedal is mashed to the floor or past a certain point of travel--as in panic stop. In this case the brake is engaged immediately and locks the rear wheels (both of them because of limited slip). This is considered an emergency procedure and the brake will not tolerate this very much. Sounds like you have reached that point. The smell is the common sign of impending failure. Cart won't go if brake test fails during POST (turning key on).

Here is procedure for replacement. Be wary of the so called heavy duty brake.

Replacing the Park Brake on an E-Z-GO RXV

Remove the two T27 torx screws on the rear cover
Chock the wheels
Disconnect the negative cable on the battery pack
Turn the ignition key to reverse, wait till the reverse indicator becomes silent then turn key off
Disconnect wire harness from motor brake
Remove the three 10mm hex screws and lock washers from brake
If bolts are rusty replace them
Remove brake if there is residue on motor be sure to clean it use a wire brush
Position the brake with the connector at the top, install the three hex screws loosely.
Connect wire harness to the motor brake, re-connect battery negative cable
Turn ignition to neutral, turn Run/Tow switch to Tow position, this provides power to the brake to align the disc material
Set torque wrench between 53 to 65 in. lbs (6-8 Nm) and tighten screws be sure not to over tighten
Turn key back to the off position
Move Run/Tow switch back to Run position
Put rear back cover on
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You cannot "ride the brakes" on a electric RXV. The controller gives Brake pedal input higher priority than gas pedal input. If you press the gas & brake at the same time, the controller just ignores the throttle input & listens to the brake pedal input.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
You cannot "ride the brakes" on a electric RXV. The controller gives Brake pedal input higher priority than gas pedal input. If you press the gas & brake at the same time, the controller just ignores the throttle input & listens to the brake pedal input.
Thank you for the explanation.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #8
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The accelerator doesn't come into play when somebody "rides the brakes". It is just the brake peddle that is being used.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biaviian View Post
The accelerator doesn't come into play when somebody "rides the brakes". It is just the brake peddle that is being used.
Ok, if you "ride the brakes" on an rxv, you are stopped. That's better, no?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #10
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok, if you "ride the brakes" on an rxv, you are stopped. That's better, no?
That implies that a brake is off or all-stop. It does work by slowing you, correct? If that is correct then you can ride the brake. A brake that went from 0 to all-stop immediately would be dangerous.

What happens when you press the brake peddle? I thought it slowed the cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO