lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
eBoon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Stiff Suspension

I have a 2017 CC Precedent with low-profile 20" tires (20" from floor to top of tire) and a 3 1/2 (?) lift. I specifically requested a "street" tire because that is what I drive on 100% of the time and wanted a quieter ride then a "knobby" tire. Mission accomplished - I get a nice smooth ride on the street. The problem I have is that if I hit any kind of bump there is very little shock-absorbing - it feels like a hit a huge pothole. Attached are some pictures showing the front and rear end.

Any suggestions on how to create a smoother ride?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1831.jpg (144.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1833.jpg (121.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1835.jpg (278.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1837.jpg (282.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1838.jpg (233.0 KB, 0 views)
eBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Default Re: Stiff Suspension

Do you know if the leaf springs are HD or factory? I can't tell on the front, but the rear looks like a single leaf factory unit. I recently did low profile tires with HD springs and it rides super rough - I've found running 20PSI in the tires helps. Otherwise, a softer leaf spring may help. By the way, I love those wheels.
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
eBoon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Ryan View Post
Do you know if the leaf springs are HD or factory? I can't tell on the front, but the rear looks like a single leaf factory unit. I recently did low profile tires with HD springs and it rides super rough - I've found running 20PSI in the tires helps. Otherwise, a softer leaf spring may help. By the way, I love those wheels.
I do not know if they are factory leaf springs or not - trying to find my tire pressure gauge to check the tire pressure ...
Old 06-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
AquaLuke
Getting Wild

It looks to me like your shock is completely compressed at rest. I have a 2018 Onward with the same lift and I had the same issue. I relocated the upper shock mount to give the shock room to function.
AquaLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
eBoon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaLuke View Post
It looks to me like your shock is completely compressed at rest. I have a 2018 Onward with the same lift and I had the same issue. I relocated the upper shock mount to give the shock room to function.
Good observation. I attached 2 photos of the front shocks and one in the rear. It does look like those front shocks are not doing much...

If that's the case - I'm not so sure I have the skill to fix..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1849.jpg (111.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1851.jpg (105.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1846.jpg (86.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #6
AquaLuke
Getting Wild

Yeah you have almost zero travel on the front suspension. Maybe you can find a shorter shock to replace the fronts. That would prevent you from having to fabricate new mounts.
AquaLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
eBoon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaLuke View Post
Yeah you have almost zero travel on the front suspension. Maybe you can find a shorter shock to replace the fronts. That would prevent you from having to fabricate new mounts.
Just measured from center of eyelet to eyelet on the front and it was about 7 1/2". Looking at new shocks from Revolution Golf Cars and the Precedent shock is 7 7/16" closed .. so if that is the issue, looks like I might have to find a non-standard shock somewhere ...
Old 06-25-2020, 06:09 AM   #8
Evancarey1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have the same lift on my 2013 Precedent except with a dual action rear spring where yours looks to be stock and pretty flat. Jakes 3.5 inch a-arm lift if I recall correctly and the kit adds an extra leaf spring to the front which does make it pretty stiff. I am considering removing that shorter leaf spring to soften the ride closer to factory on mine.
Evancarey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:13 AM   #9
Evancarey1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

For the rear suspension I swapped my stock blown out shock with some Monroe ones from an online auto parts store running a 20% off deal. They are slightly larger diameter but fit and work well. Part number was 55829 if my memory is good this early.
Evancarey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:32 AM   #10
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBoon View Post
Just measured from center of eyelet to eyelet on the front and it was about 7 1/2". ....
From the Monroe spec sheet the shortest shocks I saw were 7.13" closed.
The Monroe 55829 is one of those at 7.13" closed and 10.63" extended.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car