lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 96 DS - Very Slow

A friend just got a 96 DS 36v from his father in-law. He says it's really slow and he thinks the batteries are in need of a replacement.

My question is - Will the stock motor work on 48v (like the EZGO TXT)? I know we would need to replace controller/solenoid/batteries/charger.
2K6TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 96 DS - Very Slow

Stock motor will work fine on 48V.

Edit: Don't forget to upgrade cables too. 300A controller then 4ga will work fine. Above 300A, go to 2ga.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu1tm View Post
Stock motor will work fine on 48V.

Edit: Don't forget to upgrade cables too. 300A controller then 4ga will work fine. Above 300A, go to 2ga.
Thanks for the info.

Come to find out his cart is 48v to start with.

What performance gains would he see doing an Alltrax 500 controller and 400 solenoid? I know they will differ cart to cart, but a ballpark idea would be nice. maybe like 4-5 mph over stock? I want to give him as much info as I can before telling him to go with the controller/solenoid swap.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #4
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Maybe some of the other guys can speak up about speed increases for a 48V cart. I've only modified two 36V carts to lithium 58V. One with Alltrax SR48500 and the other with an SR48300. The 500 went from about 8MPH to 23MPH. The 300 went from around 8MPH to around 20MPH. Of course my voltage is well above your 48V. But both carts are still running the 36V motors.

Just some ideas of what you can do.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

So a standard 36V cart can be upgraded to 48v to increased speed? I've been looking to buy a cart, so if I found one with bad batteries I'd want to do the upgrade.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
So a standard 36V cart can be upgraded to 48v to increased speed? I've been looking to buy a cart, so if I found one with bad batteries I'd want to do the upgrade.
Most carts will be able to be upgraded from 36v to 48v without a lot of new parts.

I have an EZGO that I converted from 36v to 48v, I had to purchase a new controller, solenoid, charger, and of course batteries. I personally saw an increase in my cart from 16mph to 25mph.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 AM   #7
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think my sister in laws cart is a 96 and its 48v and a series motor, if thats the case you probably wont see an increase in speed over stock (considering everything is working correctly)by just replacing controller. In my opinion you should at a minimum verify the batteries are good and throttle is working correctly before upgrading.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car