lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2020, 05:18 AM   #1
Jbounds
Not Yet Wild

Default 48V Battery Kill Switch

Hello all. I have searched the forums and didn’t come up with exactly what I was looking for. I’m trying to find out if on a 48V golf cart, can you use a battery disconnect/kill switch? If so, any ideas as to which one? I’m looking to do this because we bring the cart back and forth to camp and sometimes we don’t go for a while and during the winter it will sit. Where I put the cart it isn’t plausible to hook the charger up as I don’t have any power there on my property. I don’t use the cart if at all when it’s at my house. Just trying to have a nice easy way to disconnect the batteries from the cart. Not that removing the battery but isn’t easy because it is. Just trying to find the lazy mans way I guess lol. Thanks in advance!
Jbounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2020, 05:24 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 48V Battery Kill Switch

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish. But if you want to disconnect the pack just take the main(s) off.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #3
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

There's no reason why you couldn't use something like this if you wanted to,
https://www.bluesea.com/products/900...Battery_Switch

Or something similar with a removable key. Just make sure it's made for at least 48V and can carry the current when it is switched on.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Can we assume your cart is a Club Car? If so, does it have a working On-board computer (OBC) and factory CC Powerdrive charger? My understanding is the OBC will go into sleep mode if it doesn't sense the charger being plugged in after so long. If my cart was to sit idle, I would would switch the Tow/Run switch to Toe and disconnect the main pack (-) negative cable.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Jbounds
Not Yet Wild

To try and answer everyone at once,

I’m trying to make it easier (lazier) for me to disconnect the batteries, preferably without lifting the seat every time to unscrew the terminal. It’s not hard to do by any means. It’s super easy but just trying to be lazy with a quick flip switch.

I have looked up many switched like that and with the removable key(I would prefer one of these) I am just unsure of how much current I get through the packs and don’t want to melt the disconnect switch. I’m pretty mechanically/electrically inclined but these carts are a whole new world for me lol.

Sorry I didn’t mention it in the post but yes. It’s a 95 Club car DS. I removed and bypassed the OBC, and I don’t have a tow/run switch due to the older cart. And as I stated previously I don’t mind disconnecting the batteries by wrench, just trying to be lazy and possibly do it without raising the seat every time.

Hopefully I got all your questions answered as of right now. Thanks for the help so far. Still trying to find something but like I stated idk how much current the cart flows at max and don’t want to melt a switch. It’s probably the only thing stopping me right now from just winging it and getting a 48V switch lol.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You can install just about any Marine type 400amp disconnect switch. The main thing is that any disconnect you use has to be able to handle the full current that the cart motor will draw which can be quite a lot especially on a series cart being used off-road.

You really should be lifting the seat up very few weeks to clean and inspect batteries, cable ends, terminals, etc for corrosion and check battery electrolyte levels. A corroded battery cable will leave you walking out the woods and dragging the deer (or elk) out with you. It’s also a fire hazard since quite often corroded cable ends will burn and melt insulation and usually will also melt the battery terminal off. That much heat next to a source of flammable gases has potential to cause a battery explosion.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:01 AM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
You can install just about any Marine type 400amp disconnect switch. The main thing is that any disconnect you use has to be able to handle the full current that the cart motor will draw which can be quite a lot especially on a series cart being used off-road.

You really should be lifting the seat up very few weeks to clean and inspect batteries, cable ends, terminals, etc for corrosion and check battery electrolyte levels. A corroded battery cable will leave you walking out the woods and dragging the deer (or elk) out with you. It’s also a fire hazard since quite often corroded cable ends will burn and melt insulation and usually will also melt the battery terminal off. That much heat next to a source of flammable gases has potential to cause a battery explosion.
And this is sort of where I was going. If he is going to leave it for extended periods and all winter that may mean 6 months or so depending on where he is, he might find that those neglected and frozen batteries will need replacing again.

Disconnecting them will do nothing to change this reality.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #8
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbounds View Post
Hello all. I have searched the forums and didn’t come up with exactly what I was looking for. I’m trying to find out if on a 48V golf cart, can you use a battery disconnect/kill switch? If so, any ideas as to which one? I’m looking to do this because we bring the cart back and forth to camp and sometimes we don’t go for a while and during the winter it will sit. Where I put the cart it isn’t plausible to hook the charger up as I don’t have any power there on my property. I don’t use the cart if at all when it’s at my house. Just trying to have a nice easy way to disconnect the batteries from the cart. Not that removing the battery but isn’t easy because it is. Just trying to find the lazy mans way I guess lol. Thanks in advance!
something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Zoostliss-Bat...0P48N04Y13T6GE
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinnegan View Post
something like this? .... ]
Here's a similar item that doesn't have any handles to lose.
The handle rotates either direction.
I was thinking of installing one of these for the times I'm working on wiring and need to disconnect a battery cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery cutoff switch.jpg (6.7 KB, 0 views)
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:17 AM   #10
Jbounds
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I’m going to continue to lift the seat and disconnect. Like it was mentioned, it gives a good opportunity to check the batteries at the same time. Thanks for all the responses and help given. You guys are the best 👍🏻
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car