lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
MissouriClubCarGuy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Created a short somewhere

So I'm installing a USB port and a volt meter on the front dash of my golf cart. The cart has lights.. I connected the negative from the light switch to the USB port. Since the USB port has no off/on switch I only wanted it to come on when I turned the key on. I didn't think this would be an over load so I went ahead and tied in the usb and the volt meter to the ignition. Volt meter has one wire that runs to the constant power, one that runs to the negative main battery, and the other that runs to the cable that opens up when the key is turned on. Needless to say that when I hooked all these up. Nothing happens to the voltmeter, USB port and the cart won't move.

I'm getting the volts to the outgoing wire after the power is turned on.
MissouriClubCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2020, 02:28 AM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Created a short somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriClubCarGuy View Post
So I'm installing a USB port and a volt meter on the front dash of my golf cart. The cart has lights.. I connected the negative from the light switch to the USB port. Since the USB port has no off/on switch I only wanted it to come on when I turned the key on. I didn't think this would be an over load so I went ahead and tied in the usb and the volt meter to the ignition. Volt meter has one wire that runs to the constant power, one that runs to the negative main battery, and the other that runs to the cable that opens up when the key is turned on. Needless to say that when I hooked all these up. Nothing happens to the voltmeter, USB port and the cart won't move.

I'm getting the volts to the outgoing wire after the power is turned on.
We need more information before we know what is likely to have happened.

Which cart do you have, give us the cart number if possible (it will be on a sticker under the side of the dash probably).

I think you are mixing up voltages here. The lights are possibly running on 12V through a voltage reducer (or maybe 16V from two of the batteries). The USB port will almost certainly need an input of 12V to output 5V and the volt meter is probably to output the cart voltage which is 48V (or maybe 36V depending on what cart you have).

If you have just connected all of these together you may well have blown the main 15A fuse but the position of this will depend on which cart you have. If this fuse is blown the cart will be dead.

Lets start with what cart you have.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:23 AM   #3
MissouriClubCarGuy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It’s a 2016. JE1697-623442
Old 08-28-2020, 04:12 AM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriClubCarGuy View Post
It’s a 2016. JE1697-623442
Thank you. Do you know if you have a voltage reducer?

If the cart won't run then you should check the 15A fuse near the controller.

Before you start put it in Tow and disconnect the batteries. You can take off the inspection panel in the area where the golf clubs sit and then move the plastic panel behind the controller. It is a little bit awkward but you don't need tools. Get at it from under the cart and you'll find that it just lifts off (there are just lugs that keep it in place). When you can see all the wires look for an in-line fuse holder. It is quite big, maybe an inch and a half long with two wires coming out of the bottom. Pull it apart and there is a 15A blade fuse that has probably blown.

Disconnect the wiring you originally did which is connected to the key switch or you'll probably blow the new fuse as well. If the fuse is blown, replace it, hook up the batteries again, put it in run and check that the cart runs again.

Once that is fixed we will go back to the accessories again.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:59 AM   #5
MissouriClubCarGuy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks. I pulled it and it’s a 30a fuse. It wasn’t blown
Old 08-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
MissouriClubCarGuy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The cart still wont budge. The voltmeter is hooked up properly and comes on with the key is turned on. Could i have done something the the solenoid?
Old 08-28-2020, 07:39 PM   #7
MissouriClubCarGuy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok embarrassed to say...... because I've been raised around working on motors and doing electrical that I didn't even flip the switch into forward..... Problem solved. Sometimes the simple things stump us.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #8
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Simple "fixes" are the best!!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
MissouriClubCarGuy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Simple "fixes" are the best!!!
Oh for sure. I was happy that it was something so simple yet so hard for me to figure out.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:15 PM   #10
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Great. Sorry to put you to all the trouble of finding the fuse seeing that it wasn't necessary. At least now you know where that fuse is. My 2012 has a 15A fuse, they must have increased it for later models.

I'm glad you're up and running again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car