lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Help! New solenoid does not click

Hello. I have a 1996 Club Car DS. I upgraded just about everything on the cart. I have a Altrax 500 controller, A1 Motor, HD F&R Switch, New 400a Solenoind, Tires, Lift kit, lights, etc.

Everything was working perfect for months aside from the fact that I had a consistent 45v on my cart frame. But the cart still ran great.

Upon trying to troubleshot the frame voltage on this forum, I read that my Voltage reducer should be on the M- bolt of the controller and the not main Neg terminal of the battery pack. This would allow for OBC to account for reducer.

I made the new connection and drove a lap around the neighborhood with no issues. Then as I was about o park, the cart went dead. No clicking from the solenoid, nothing. I did some tests and thought that my new solenoid went bad. I even took a screw driver across the main contacts on solenoid went forward.

Fast forward, I order a brand new solenoid and installed yesterday. And it is the same thing. No clicking from solenoid. I am confident it is wired correctly. What could I be missing? What else can I check? I doubt the new solenoid is bad.

Could there be a fuse or something somewhere that I am missing? Help!!!
Kolassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Help! New solenoid does not click

Only the motor connections go to M-, accessories negative go to B-.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My apologies. It it is in the B- I guess my question is, assuming the solenoid is good, where does it get its power to activates the main contacts? I think I traced it to the micro switch in the F&R switch. But that that switch is fine. I believe that leads to the micro switch in the v-glide. I haven’t checked that yet. Is it possible that being bad could cause my issues?
Old 09-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Test the small solenoid Posts you should have 48v between the 2 posts when you try to go. If the micro switch in the Vglide is bad that could be the problem.

As for frame voltage. Assuming you are not using any frame ground wires. This is most likely ghost voltage or carbon dust accumulated in the motor. Both harmless to the problem you report.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Roger. I will take the v-glide apart now. I am not getting any power to the small terminals on the solenoid. Thank you.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update! I took the v/glide apart and inspected the micro switch. It was the culprit. Switch was bad. I ordered a new one. But for now, so I can drive my cart, I just wired the two wires together with a toggle switch. So now when I hit my key, I hit the toggle switch, which then engages my solenoid. It works perfectly.

Is there any risk to the cart or controller of powering the solenoid this way? I don’t see how it is really any different.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Turn it off every time you stop.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #8
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have been and plan to until the new switch comes in. What is the risk though if I forget? The circuit is tied into the key switch, so I can hear the solenoid disengage when the key is turned off and the new switch is still on. However, if both are left in, could it burn the solenoid?

Tags
dead cart, obc, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car