lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
kMD
Not Yet Wild

Default Fold up rear seat that fit in 8ft bed tailgate closed

I have a 2009 ez go rxv. I am looking for a sturdy back seat that will fold up and fit in my 8 ft bed with tailgate closed. I tow a camper and really don’t want to get a hitch extender for camper and keep tailgate down.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
kMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fold up rear seat that fit in 8ft bed tailgate closed

FWIW, I used to put my txt in my 6’6” bed pick up, Use a ratchet strap across tailgate fastened to tailgate locking/latching post on bed to hold tailgate in the 3/4 way closed position and haul tow behind camper without trailer jack hitting tail gate on turns.
Carts rear wheels would rest in bed so no wheight on tail gate cables, but foot rest would not allow tail gate to close completely. Towed cart and camper like this for several years with no problems.

Not a fan of removing tailgate when ever we need to pull camper.
Just another option😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #3
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Fold up rear seat that fit in 8ft bed tailgate closed

I had a 6’6” bed on my 2500 and pulled a 32’ camper with a DS in the bed. It had a DoubleTake rear seat that did not fold. I made aluminum bars to allow the tailgate to partially close. Worked great...

IMG_0928.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:09 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I really hate to suggest these guys, but JH global offers a kit with a folding foot rest. I say "hate to suggest" because their install instructions are often a total joke. And I've had to "slightly modify" to make it work. Take it for what it's worth, and I indemnify myself from all blame if you hate it. Dont blame me if their kit is total bullshit for you, it has been for me too. But, it's the only one that has a "fold up foot rest" I know of.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I actually did the same thing you are trying to do. It was on a Precedent but the RXV would be the same procedure. A co-worker welded a couple hinges on my rear step where it mounted to the uprights on the cart, then made some folding supports out of some bar stock. Pictures can be seen here on post number 17.
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...ot+rest&page=2
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
JBeck0421
Not Yet Wild

Worth bringing this up. If you have a newer Ford with the aluminum body, I would recommend taking the tailgate off regardless. A close friend and camping buddy loaded his cart multiple times on his truck and the tailgate finally failed from the weight of the golf cart. I don't mean the cables, I mean the aluminum tailgate bent and started coming apart. I got my F-250 soon after and always take the tailgate off to load the golf cart, whether I am pulling my camper or not. Once you do it a couple times, it literally takes maybe 3 minutes, and that includes getting out the saw horses to put it on and unplugging the electrical stuff under the truck. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
JBeck0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I would not agree with the statement of removing the tailgate on an aluminum body F-150. I have a 2017 F-150 with the factory ramp kit (which can be purchased as a factory add-on for existing 2017-2020's....$600) that I load\unload and haul my cart on all the time.

Now, my truck bed is a 6'6" (not the 5'6") and the center of my rear wheels rides right on the tailgate to truck bed "joint". I know the 5'6" beds the weight would be on the tailgate alone.

The factory ramp kit is nice as it has a "bead" for the collapsable aluminum ramps to hook onto, thus preventing any "kick off" if you drive the cart on. (I winch mine on and off). The factory kit also has a large aluminum "plate" that is bolted on the tailgate that covers about 50% of the tailgate. (See 2nd pic below)

I bought my 2017 F-150 in mid 2016....so that's 4 "hunting seasons" of loading and unloading of 3 times a week. The rest of the year maybe once a week..so that's 320 loads\unloads (if I did my math right) and hauls.

So far....nothing bad has happen to my F-150.

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #8
JBeck0421
Not Yet Wild

That's good to hear on the Ford tailgate. Honestly, I have not researched whether it was a common issue or not. I just had that one personal experience. Hopefully it was an isolated thing and just a defect in that particular tailgate. Maybe now I won't be so worried to load mine if I ever need to with the tailgate on. That said, I have also seen people at campgrounds load the cart on the truck then jack up the rear until the rear footrest clears the tailgate and then put blocks under it. Whether the cart is lifted or not would determine how much it has to come up. I like the idea of the folding foot rest the best though. That would be the easiest, quickest, and least rigged way of doing it.
JBeck0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #9
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

FWIW I used and still on occasion use a set of titan brand ramps that were 10’ long but when folded in half were 5’ , 20” wide tracks( pricey at around 400.00 bucks but worth it ) With straps that connected ramps to bumper to prevent ramp “kick out”.

As long as rear wheels of cart do not rest on tailgate (tailgate cables too have a rating) and tailgate can be closed enough to make turns you’ll be fine.
In my case tailgate only needed to be closed 1/2 way to clear electric tounge jack.

My truck is an F 250 where tailgate is a bit higher then a 150 reason for 10’ ramps.
Just my 2 cents experience 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:05 AM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

If you have a concern about the tailgate cables, a set of these:

will prevent any mis-hap from cables.

FWIW I check my cables all the time. In my 8 year "history" of hauling my cart in the truck bed (2 Chevy Silverado's and now my F-150) I've found the weak spot to be rust at the tailgate cable ends. Those cable ends have a plastic "tube" shrunk to attach to the cable end.....but it's left open for water to accumulate there and rust form....then BAM.....it will break.

I "fill" the cable protector end with a permanent silicon glue that prevents water from infiltrating this juncture.

BTW, I have a set of these "tailgate supports"...somewhere.......but I don't use 'em. They are just "one more thing" to mess with. I like it as simple as possible to "load 'n go" while being as safe as possible.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO