lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
Down river Dave
Not Yet Wild

Default Western/EZGO? which chassis etc.

Hi guys, first cart guy here. What I have is a Golf and Country by Western. I have read (here) that it is a rebodied EZ GO. So I am curious which cart the chassis is from for future research, trouble shooting and buying parts etc. It is an Arizona cart and is titled as an 88 but it has the controller set up which I did not think they were using in 88. The controller is a Curtis PMC model 1204-009, 24-36 volt 275 amp. it appears to have two solinoids. The number on the frame under the pass seat is 3000974165. Hopefully one of you cart gurus can help with this info.

Anybody know what motor they came with? couldn't find a number on it.

Is 12 mph (12.3) a normal top speed? gravel road speed run with wife and I in the cart, about 350 pounds cargo, won't give you the break down though :). It has an overdrive knob on the dash but doesn't seam to do anything (yet). In fact, there seams to be no further acceleration after the pedal is about half way down, normal?.

Great forum! I had a bajillion more questions but I have been pouring over the threads here for quite awhile and have most other questions answered.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Western.jpg (30.0 KB, 18 views)
Down river Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Western/EZGO? which chassis etc.

I think that cart is built on a marathon chassis .... Are the batteries all clustered together? Marathon had 3 batteries on each side and the speed control in the middle.

Welcome to the forum!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

88, i'd guess marathon too. the newer controller setup has probably done away with and other things like battery split overdrives and that kind of stuff. unless it's a mechanical over drive. can you post some pics of it?
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I saw one that had an extra solenoid was suppose to release a stored up charge... Hit the button on a hill? I dunno I got one in the shop now that looks like that but it is a resistor coil car with the old CC style brakes. I think that one is 1985.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Down river Dave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think that cart is built on a marathon chassis .... Are the batteries all clustered together? Marathon had 3 batteries on each side and the speed control in the middle.

Welcome to the forum!
Yes, they are split in threes with the controller in the middle. I took a mess o pics when I bought the cart for reference. I have replaced the battery cables and three batts so far. They did not have enough material for me to do the rest of the cables, which was fortunate because I used 6 gage and after reading here want to go with 4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Western batts.jpg (41.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Down river Dave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
88, i'd guess marathon too. the newer controller setup has probably done away with and other things like battery split overdrives and that kind of stuff. unless it's a mechanical over drive. can you post some pics of it?
Would be glad to, if I knew what to take a picture of?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Looks like an 88 resister cart that has been converted. you can see the mounting holes for the resister coil box. Pretty smart conversion. They were able to keep/use the old accelerator rod and mounted the newer speed control boxes where the old wiper board was. Gonna have to remember that if I upgrade. can you take a picture of solenoid that is just to the right in the picture and a picture of the second solenoid and what wires are connected to the second solenoid. The one that is just to the right in the picture looks to be the main one.
very cool cart and welcome.

joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

I agree, it was probably a resistor cart that has been upgraded, I believe the overdrive is a shunt motor, kirk
kirkroediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
Down river Dave
Not Yet Wild

Solenoid pics. The connections all look like they need some clean up. I still have some sorting out to do. A accessory fuse block is on my list for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sol 1.jpg (58.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg sol 2.jpg (40.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #10
Down river Dave
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: Western/EZGO? which chassis etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkroediger View Post
I agree, it was probably a resistor cart that has been upgraded, I believe the overdrive is a shunt motor, kirk
What is a shunt motor?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO