lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #11
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EH29C Robin Engine Rod Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
csason
You may need to try this. "Yep, muriatic acid and a green scotchbrite pad will remove any aluminum residue. Might take a few applications and as long as you're still seeing black, you're removing aluminum."

Done this today.

Tom N
Hey Tom try this

"Why would I want to take a toxic nasty chemical into my shop and get it all over the place.. when I can just take some nice emery cloth and bada bing..done. ?"

lol

why would you use muratic acid if you don't have to ?
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

dipping a straw into the acid and dropping it on the aluminum and scraping with a Popsicle stick removes the the smear with out changing your clearances. It is very common practice in the racing world.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by csason View Post
Hey Tom try this

"Why would I want to take a toxic nasty chemical into my shop and get it all over the place.. when I can just take some nice emery cloth and bada bing..done. ?"

lol

why would you use muratic acid if you don't have to ?
Lots of stuff in most shops can be considered as "a toxic nasty chemical" Do you use carb cleaner? Spray paint? PB Blaster or WD40? Motor oil? And what powers your motor? Gasoline? Diesel? What about household cleaners? How about oxalic acid? Is it bad too? The list goes on and on....

I am not arguing your personal choice.

There are many regular "every day" items that COULD be (and are) considered "a toxic nasty chemical." And a highly diluted form of hydrochloric acid is just another one.....no better or no worse than many others. Just read the labels or better yet, the MSDS...very enlightening...

What I will add to this thread is the reaction of hydrochloric acid and metals creates hydrogen gas. Which can be highly flammable when mixed with air.

Practice the appropriate safety precautions and the use of PPE is required.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

aw fer crying out loud..

The guy just asked about using it..and I have used it, but I don't like it.. I know all about safety data sheets and all that.. sheesh..

When Tom asked on an old topic about rod caps, and wasn't sure how to use the muratic acid I just suggested using good ol emery cloth, and I like using it, because it cleans the shaft real good, doesn't really take off *that* much metal, and for someone who isn't sure whether to "soak it, or brush it on" ..

so thanks for the input, glad you got it going !!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by csason View Post
aw fer crying out loud..

The guy just asked about using it..and I have used it, but I don't like it.. I know all about safety data sheets and all that.. sheesh..

When Tom asked on an old topic about rod caps, and wasn't sure how to use the muratic acid I just suggested using good ol emery cloth, and I like using it, because it cleans the shaft real good, doesn't really take off *that* much metal, and for someone who isn't sure whether to "soak it, or brush it on" ..

so thanks for the input, glad you got it going !!

pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post

groves, you know when they give you a safety data sheet to memorize, it ain't good.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #17
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh your supposed to read the MRSD?!! I thought they where for covering the bench to keep it clean ***!
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, pistons, rods
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO