lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Phil J
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Electrical wiring question

I am planning and waiting for parts to arrive to install Voltage Converter. I will try to keep this short. I have read all post about this subject and thank you all very much. I think I have only one questioned left that I am not certain about. I have included 3 diagrams that I hope will help you help me out.
1. I have a dealer installed Voltage Reducer on the cart. I bought the cart used but was told nothing was changed after buying it new. Now to the question: Do the diagrams look ok? and where my unknown comes in to play is the planned wire to Controller B- from new Voltage Converter output. Why I was thinking I needed this was because of the old unit that was installed.

Thanks again. Electrical is not one of my strong areas.
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG (640x495).jpg (43.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG 002 (640x495).jpg (35.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG 003 (640x495).jpg (46.5 KB, 57 views)
Phil J is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Electrical wiring question

Did you order a factory DC converter or aftermarket?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Phil J
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I ordered an aftermarket. This should link to it.https://www.3rsalesandservice.com/ca...OLT-0002CC.htm
Old 06-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

the drawings you posted are correct except the one wire you have labeled "not sure about this run" you do NOT need to put in. Also, rather than running that through a 50 amp switch, why not set it up on a relay off the keyswitch? That way when you turn off the key, you turn off power to the DC-DC converter.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Phil J
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I got he switch idea from some of the posts on other threads. The relay idea sounds good that way I would not have to worry about forgetting to turn off converter power switch. I would guess all I have to do is look for a relay switch that can handle 50 volts and then to key would be 12 volts.

The question on the other wire to B- was because I am not sure where all the wiring goes to all components that need just 12 volts.

Thanks for suggestion.
Phil
Old 06-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

PhilJ,

You could try building a simple zener diode circuit to drop the 50 vts at the key switch to 12vts for just the on/off solenoid for your converter. It wouldn't supply enough current for anything real but it would work for a simple 12vt sol. Go look at the circuit here http://www.reuk.co.uk/Zener-Diode-Voltage-Regulator.htm
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I used a 50amp switch on mine and its simple and looks like a nitrous switch and nobody knows better.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Buy a 48 volt relay such as is used in a charger. No need for extra diodes or anything else. Simple install's work the best. Keep your relay located close to the keyswitch and you can pull your 48 volts from the keyswitch so that you only have to run 1 wire back to the battery compartment to power the reducer instead of running 1 up and 1 back. assuming of course you have a positive feed to the keyswitch and not a negative one lol.

The wire that goes to the B- on the controller is there on the original setup to get the ground, not supply it, hence you don't need it on the new setup (unless of course you want to get your 48 volt ground from that source rather than from the batteries to reduce connections on the batteries themselves).
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
Phil J
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys for the suggestions. The parts are on the way.
Funny how we like to keep busy. Complain when too much is going on and then complain when we get caught up. Life is great.
Phil
Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
daryler
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Phil, Thanks for the diagrams. My cart has the exact same setup and I am looking to put in a Voltage Converter in place of my Voltage Reducer. I am just wondering if everything went fine when you wired it as shown in the last diagram. Also, What did you put in for a switch? The 50 AMP separate switch or the relay off the Keyswitch? If the relay, will you show in a diagram how you wired it.

thanks
daryler is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car